Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any other .300WM shooters lurking about?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I don't have any data on the 220. I do know that a few people on SH have worked up loads for the 220 and the Amax in 208 I believe. H1000 is the powder for the mil load,but be safe working on those loads. I'm not an "expert" on the reloading but based on what I know and read, people can get in trouble quick with that load if not worked up properly.

I will need to re work my load after the FC casings are toast. I will have 500 once fired Black Hills then!
    I will approach with caution. I was planning on no more than three loads per case before I toss them, just to keep a good safety margin. I am an experienced reloader, but this is my first foray into loading a belted magnum. Are you neck-sizing only?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Mark5pt56

Do you still have the PSS stock? I have a barrel action that needs a home.

As far as loads go in my 300 win mag, I shoot Bergers 185g Hunting VLD on top of 81g of H1000, Nosler brass and CCI BR2 primers im pusshing 3030fps. With my ES and SD in the single digits. The rifle is a custom Howa and it just got back from Kirby Allen, he modified the action for a rem mag box which gave me .200 more mag length so I can start running the 210 VLD.

In have yet to realy establish a load with my 300 wsm. I have been playing with 208g AMAX and R17 but dont have anything under 2" at 200 yards yet and thats not good enough for me.

Im not a SMK fan but I know lots of guys are I like the AMAX it works great as a longrange hunting bullet too and there hela cheep.

I want to try some 260g SRX alluminum tipped jobs but I dont have the right twist rate.
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...results-72891/
    I wonder how those would do in my 1:10. (I'm too lazy to look it up right this instant.) Are most guys using a 1:8?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I wonder how those would do in my 1:10. (I'm too lazy to look it up right this instant.) Are most guys using a 1:8?
    I dont see to many guys pushing the heavy 30 cal stuff but the ones I have seam to be using the 1-8. If you get a chance read through the thread I linked about the 240g SMK lots of great info.

I have not noticed any diffrence loading for belted magnums myself. In fact the load I got for my 300 Win mag took 18 rounds and im at over 75 with the wsm.

Feedback Score
    My first real rifle is/was a 300WM. Its a stock hunting 700 BDL.

nothing fancy, kicks like a mule--but I still can hit what i aim at.

i've never pushed accuracy on this rig but I've held about 2 MOA out to 200 yards measured. I use a the old Tasco Super Sniper scope with Leupold rings. Not a braggin peice by any means but it gets the job done. Took my elk at 425 yards.

I've wanted to rebuild it into a precision rifle but don't know where to begin. And it is a nice quality looking "Average joe" hunting rifle.

I found Winchester Silver-tips 180gr worked best for me (I don't reload). I did do down for hogs/pigs/texas deer to a 150gr load but never tested it--I was mainly chaparone for my son.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I dont see to many guys pushing the heavy 30 cal stuff but the ones I have seam to be using the 1-8. If you get a chance read through the thread I linked about the 240g SMK lots of great info.

I have not noticed any diffrence loading for belted magnums myself. In fact the load I got for my 300 Win mag took 18 rounds and im at over 75 with the wsm.
    Cool. The 190 FGMM shot a couple of sub .5 5-shot groups in its first 20 rounds, so I'm hopeful I got a real consistent shooter. I won't draw any conclusions until I finish the Tubb kit though.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I plan to hang onto the stock since getting rid of one from a .308 kind of cost me the expense of acquiring another for a project.

Although my reloading gear is "primitive" it gets the job done for the time being. I only have a Lee full length die. I do need to neck size and get a gauge to make sure I'm not setting the shoulders back to far. My current cases are on their last journey, got five loads with no problems other than primer pockets are a tad loose.

Since this barrel is shooting fine, I will shoot it out and have a barrel waiting when it's done to reduce down time. Maybe in the meantime I will win the lotto and buy an AI.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I plan to hang onto the stock since getting rid of one from a .308 kind of cost me the expense of acquiring another for a project.

Although my reloading gear is "primitive" it gets the job done for the time being. I only have a Lee full length die. I do need to neck size and get a gauge to make sure I'm not setting the shoulders back to far. My current cases are on their last journey, got five loads with no problems other than primer pockets are a tad loose.

Since this barrel is shooting fine, I will shoot it out and have a barrel waiting when it's done to reduce down time. Maybe in the meantime I will win the lotto and buy an AI.
    I have never fired an AI rifle never even held one seen a few at the gunshops at Bragg but thats it. Your reloading gear sounds fine I dont use any of that mic shit. Full length size everything with Hornady dies I tried RCBS but I hate that little screw on the top. Tried a few sets of redding dies and they are very good but I like the sleve in the Hornady seating die keeps the bullets in line with the case mouth.

I only asked about the stock cause I have a sendero barrled action in 264 win mag in the safe. Not sure what Im going to do with it yet stock wise. I was thinking AICS but after talking with Tom Manners again I think its going to be another MCS-TA.

I have had alot of issues with rem brass and primer pockets being loose on inital loading. I dont think I will ever but it again. Just Nosler, Lapua for me. The groups in my win mag shrank an 1" at 200 yards when I switched from Winchester to Nosler brass.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've used the RCBS small base dies for semi's with no issues. I have been using Black Hills for the .308 and have a supply of Fed from FGMM. The only issue with BH's is the primer pockets are inconsistant with being crimped. I haven't had any issues with full length sizing, always trim to length and get 1/2 moa grouping with my sticks.

If you can ever afford it, get an AI-at least the AI AEII.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've used the RCBS small base dies for semi's with no issues. I have been using Black Hills for the .308 and have a supply of Fed from FGMM. The only issue with BH's is the primer pockets are inconsistant with being crimped. I haven't had any issues with full length sizing, always trim to length and get 1/2 moa grouping with my sticks.

If you can ever afford it, get an AI-at least the AI AEII.
    Ya I dont think I will im into weird stuff and AI only offers standard calibers. My next rifle will be a 338 EDGE built on a APS Raptor action or a 338 KHAN.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had a 300 Win Mag rebuilt for me about 6 years ago. It was a regular Rem 700 BDL and I sent it to Hill Country Rifles to have it worked over. I ended up having them rebarrel it with a Lilja Stainless 24" barrel, lap the lugs, blue print the action, and bed it in a McMillan stock. The barrel profile is between Rem's varmint and Magnum profile. I also had them swap out the Rem trigger with a Jewel trigger. They guarantee a .5" 3 shot group with factory ammo. The ammo they used was Hornady's 180 gr Spire Point. I'm shooting 130gr Fed TTSX for regular hunting purposes and with this load I can keep 5 rounds within .5" at 100 yards fairly regularly. I'd like to shoot some match ammo to see how it shoots. As far as optics I've mounted a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50 LR on it. This rifle is setup as a hunting rifle and for its purpose the Leupold does more than it's job. I think all I'd need to do to turn it into more of a precision rifle would be to mount better optics and have the barrel refinished to some other finish than the matte stainless that it has now. I also wish I had someplace to shoot long distance at. Max I know of around my area is 300 yards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast