Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any other .300WM shooters lurking about?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I had a 300 Win Mag rebuilt for me about 6 years ago. It was a regular Rem 700 BDL and I sent it to Hill Country Rifles to have it worked over. I ended up having them rebarrel it with a Lilja Stainless 24" barrel, lap the lugs, blue print the action, and bed it in a McMillan stock. The barrel profile is between Rem's varmint and Magnum profile. I also had them swap out the Rem trigger with a Jewel trigger. They guarantee a .5" 3 shot group with factory ammo. The ammo they used was Hornady's 180 gr Spire Point. I'm shooting 130gr Fed TTSX for regular hunting purposes and with this load I can keep 5 rounds within .5" at 100 yards fairly regularly. I'd like to shoot some match ammo to see how it shoots. As far as optics I've mounted a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50 LR on it. This rifle is setup as a hunting rifle and for its purpose the Leupold does more than it's job. I think all I'd need to do to turn it into more of a precision rifle would be to mount better optics and have the barrel refinished to some other finish than the matte stainless that it has now. I also wish I had someplace to shoot long distance at. Max I know of around my area is 300 yards.
    You live at Fort Bragg and you cant find a place to shoot more than 300 yard? You need new friends

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    There are a couple of ranges close by. Range 37 only goes to 100 yards. There's Trigger Time in Carthage but they do not allow walk in shooters that I know off. There is another range that you have to be a member off but they only go out to 300 yards also. The hunting club that I am part of has a 300 yard range and that's it. I don't know of any place that goes farther.

Does anyone know of any ranges close by?

Feedback Score
    300 Win Mag's a great cartridge! I'm going to get another one built up before Elk season this year.

SEAL's ruined a lot of guy's days with theirs.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It was pretty hard for me to pick between the 300win mag and the RUM and if I do a 30 cal mag again it will be a RUM. But the 300 win sold me on barrel life its better but not much. I wish we heard more on the 30 mags from in theater but we will have to wait.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Buddy had a model 70 built. McMillan stock, Krieger MTU barrel, Premier 3-15. Not bad for a guy who shot a Ruger 30-06 when I started on him. He took it out today and shot a five shot group you could cover with a nickel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got the load worked out for mine yesterday. 220gr SMK at 2825, and it shot a truly unbelievable 400 yard group that I won't even bother posting for fear of being branded a liar.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I got the load worked out for mine yesterday. 220gr SMK at 2825, and it shot a truly unbelievable 400 yard group that I won't even bother posting for fear of being branded a liar.
    LOL I get called a Liar alot just post the results.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I wouldn't call you a liar... I would just ask how often you could do it.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't call you a liar... I would just ask how often you could do it.
    LOL thants funny shit
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have 2 300WMs. One is a GAP built 700 with a Rock stainless. I shoot 200SMKs. I have shot it out to 1 mile with really good results. It is not much of a challenge at 1100 yds. I shoot that distance quite often.

The other is an older Sendero that I send to GAP for a few things (badger brake cut to barrel profile, butt pad, bolt knob, Ceracoat).
    I hunt with this gun and have shot it with excellent results. GAP does fine work.

Reloading for belted magnums takes a bit more attention to detail. But it is well worth it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast