Thread: "trough" for improved feeding???

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"trough" for improved feeding???

Just finished reading an article in the June American Rifleman on the Wiley Clapp Colt/TALO Commander. There is a pic that shows what appears to be a fully throated chamber mouth that "features a shallow trough in the throat to enhance feeding." It looks like a crossbreeding between a throated barrel and an older GI barrel:) I am unfamiliar with this concept. Can someone bring me up to speed on this mod? Part of me says Colt wouldn't do it if it was snake oil. OTOH - I can't say that I've seen it in any other high end 1911s (not that I look at a lot:)

TIA

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It sounds like what I've hear called the Colt "dimple throat." Can you link to a pic?
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
    It sounds like what I've hear called the Colt "dimple throat." Can you link to a pic?
    Haven't found an online pic yet - just the shot I mentioned in AR. Will keep looking.

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
    It sounds like what I've hear called the Colt "dimple throat." ....
    It is. Rather than cut a deep ramp or throat all the way across the bottom of the chamber, Colt cuts a shallow ramp across the bottom and then a deep ramp in the center which looks like a dimple.

Colt's been making their barrels that way for a while. It seems to work ok but I still re-cut them.

Feedback Score
    Go to: COLT Dimple Throat Barrel

I have several Colt 1911s with this barrel and have never had any trouble feeding various rounds including 230 Ball, Golden Saber, Corbon HP and lead truncated cone.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Your link goes to a error code.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel74 View Post
    Your link goes to a error code.
    It works for me.
    Try this: Entire Document

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Old school GI barrel - Gunsmith cut throat - Colt barrel dimpled throat on the right.

I have a couple of the new Colt barrels and the "dimpled" barrels works well with no problems feeding any of the ammunition I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Colt's been making their barrels that way for a while. It seems to work ok but I still re-cut them.
    I thought that was interesting. I always thought it was surprising that many gunsmiths will re-contour the ramp back to the wide type when they get a new Colt for custom work. Why would it be necessary to perform this work if the "dimpled" barrel seems to work OK?

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-27-11 at 11:45.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    ...Why would it be necessary to perform this work if the "dimpled" barrel seems to work OK?
    I don't know if it's necessary but I do it anyway. It widens the throat or ramp of the barrel more than the way that Colt cuts it but I don't cut it any deeper than I do on a non-dimpled barrel.

There is no down side and I sleep better at night knowing that I've done everything that I can to make the pistol reliable