Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we do it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Why we do it.

"Competition, is a crucial part of the process, in the mastery of a chosen art. Its a demonstration, by the practitioner, that his path, his way in the journey of that mastery was either correct, or in need of further refinement.

Classes are fine, their purpose is to suggest the way, through the shared experience of a master. They indicate right direction, encourage discipline, and a process to practice. But in the case of arms, in the end you must take what you see, what you hear, what you read, and what you experience and turn it into your own way. It is ultimately your endeavor, and to stand in the arena before others, and demonstrate your way reveals to all and mainly yourself whether you put your faith in the truth or just a facade of smoke.

To deny yourself the opportunity to experience such an aspect of the journey is a mistake."
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 06-12-08 at 08:25.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I used to be of the mindset that I would never compete because I didn't want to learn any bad habits from gaming.

I must say, due primarily to your posts Robb, I have reconsidered my stance.

Next year I will be starting IDPA in Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania.

I think there is room for both, as long as the game is kept as realistic as reasonably possible.

Thanks again for all the competition threads and advice that you have given on this board.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I think you'll love it. Just keep an open mind and remember that both IDPA and USPSA are games. I find that training and 'gaming' compliment each other and make one an overall better shooter. 'Gaming' is fun, when it's no longer fun for me I'll quit. Both IPSC and IDPA have people that are so competitive that they get all worked up about stuff, if I was that intense I'd quit.

The biggest thing I hate about IDPA is the SOs (safety officers) that try to give 'tactical advice' about how I might fight in a gunfight.

In the end it's about problem solving...........especially with USPSA........."how best can I shoot this 32 round stage accurately, rapidly, and efficiently?"

I find USPSA more fun than IDPA and 3gun/multi-gun even more fun than USPSA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    The biggest thing I hate about IDPA is the SOs (safety officers) that try to give 'tactical advice' about how I might fight in a gunfight.

We have one of those at a local club. He wears "tactical" polos, "tactical" vests and probably even "tactical" socks and continously advises me which mags to run in my 1911. That's always confused me since he doesn't even own a 1911.

Back on topic though, being able to see improvement in my shooting is the sweetest benefit of competetion. Outshooting "tactical guy" is fun too!
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Since I've moved into a staff job that doesn't give me the opportunity to train as much; I've been looking at IDPA/USPSA as an alternative to keeping my skills honed. Going to the range and shooting static by myself is really getting old after 6-7 weeks.
    The biggest problem is in this area the closest IDPA matches are a 90 minute drive and I'm not aware of any USPSA or three gun matches locally.

Feedback Score
    Competitions are a big help so long as you remember they teach you to shoot, not how to fight.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Drag View Post
    Competitions are a big help so long as you remember they teach you to shoot, not how to fight.
    That's all I'm looking for, something to get time pressing the trgger faster than one shot per second at a bullseye target. Tactics I believe can be worked in if you're not worried about winning, but I'm not looking to get tactics or winning out of it.

Edit: But it would be a nice biproduct

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Drag View Post
    Exactly, competition ain't training........and training ain't competition.

Feedback Score
    Fighting is the ultimate competition....

Hitting ones target while fighting is the only way to win, applying good tactics do you no good if your not competent enough with your weapon to take advantage of said skill set. Unless your tactic is to run away.

Fighting is thinking- Gaming is thinking. The best fighters I know think!!!!...... and are not in the rut mindset.

Do whatever it takes to stay intouch with your trigger, practice, classes and/or yes games.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It is ultimately your endeavor, and to stand in the arena before others
    Alot of people are scared to even do that. Some are humbled so bad that they won't ever try again.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast