Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we do it.

ToddG Guest
    • The student paid for the class.
    • The student was present during the entire class.
    • The student met all of the statutory requirements for getting his permit in VA.
    • Refusing to sign off on their certificates would be bad for business.

Shortly thereafter, I stopped teaching there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good for you Todd. INTEGRITY is everything. You do "it" for them once and they own you forever.

Jack
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Yup. Many years ago when I was working at the NRA and part of the "Senior Firearms Instructors" program teaching CCW classes, I got in an argument with the head instructor over this. We had a one hour live fire portion of the class, and once I had a student who not only couldn't hit a target after an hour, but he was ridiculously unsafe and refused to pay any attention to me during our one-on-one training hour. So I refused to sign his First Steps certificate. The head guy signed it for me, and since then he's signed them all himself.
    I can relate with you here. I refuse to sign any certificates except for the students I have personally taught and judged to be "worthy". I've also threatened to walk out of a Home Firearms Safety Class unless they kicked out this old lady who refused to listen to any instructions and kept sweeping the whole class with her revolver that she insisted was empty (even though she could not open up the cylinder to clear it). I even offered to give her a "refund" out of my own pocket.

The Head FI took her under his responsibility and did a one-on-one range session with her away from the rest of the class. he said that she did not want her certificate (thank God!!) and that she just wanted to learn how to shoot a gun.

In my club, we've had occasion to refuse to give someone their certificate until they came back for further training and until they proved that they can hit their intended target.

I wrote and was offering an Introduction to the IDPA class at my club until this year. I have since refused to do so because some people were attending who have never had ANY shooting experience of a class under their belt. I had a PhD tell me she signed up because it said "Introduction". I refused her enrollment when she could not show me that she can handle any of her handguns safely. I have also asked individuals to not come back for the range portion of th class for safety reasons.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    We do it because it's fun. Here's some vids of me shooting on Sunday, I placed 8th of 29 in Limited, not too bad since I hadn't shot my Limited gun in about 4 months and only put 50 rounds though it on Saturday night before the match.

This will be my last match for about 5 weeks since I just had carpal tunnel release surgery on my left hand yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeGuVG6m-44
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPPcmxHvxFo
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    We do it because it's fun. Here's some vids of me shooting on Sunday, I placed 8th of 29 in Limited, not too bad since I hadn't shot my Limited gun in about 4 months and only put 50 rounds though it on Saturday night before the match.

This will be my last match for about 5 weeks since I just had carpal tunnel release surgery on my left hand yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeGuVG6m-44
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPPcmxHvxFo

isnt it funny what we call fun......

Fun...the airport thing or long drives.

Fun…like stand in the rain for hours. Pick up dropped mags from mud holes…… Cuss ourselves for missing such a easy shot or brain farting some procedure.

Fun…like picking up casings, cleaning guns, reloading….practicing when we don't feel like it.

Ha…. I always come back for more……..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    We do it because it's fun. Here's some vids of me shooting on Sunday.........
    Good shootin' Robb. Looks like F-burg is up to their usual standard of excellence.

......This will be my last match for about 5 weeks since I just had carpal tunnel release surgery on my left hand yesterday.
    Bummer.......good luck on that bro. Let us know how it works out. I should probably have mine looked to too -- right wrist is especially bad.
    Last edited by blackscot; 05-15-09 at 07:23.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The hand is doing well but I'm waiting for late July before shooting centerfire pistols.

I just saw this on the BrianEnos forums and it made me laugh!

ToddG Guest
    Yeah, those little blue squares with white question marks always make me laugh, too!

Glad to hear your hand is healing up, man. July is just around the corner ...
    Last edited by ToddG; 06-28-09 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Michelle at PhotoMotionPhotography.com took the pic.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

That's great!
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast