Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Alot of people are scared to even do that. Some are humbled so bad that they won't ever try again.
    Yep your right I've seen many of those. Some even justify their hurt pride by preaching competition develops bad habits and try to guide those less knowlegable against even trying...........

I remember the first time I shot an IPSC match in 87. I was humbled, even beaten down by a Master Class shooter in the shootoff's on poppers. He had 6 poppers down before I got sight alignment on my second popper, that was the first run, the second run I was so flustered I didn't even hit the first popper before he was done........

I remember saying to myself- Im gonna kick his ass and exceed his skill level someday.............

Feedback Score
    I've been feeling a bit of burnout lately. I know this because I've let considerations of the cost of ammo, match fees, and gasoline factor heavily into whether or not I shoot a given match. It tells me I don't really want to do it that badly right now.

So right now the "why I do it" is ambiguous. It's partially habit, and partially for the social aspects. The fact that it's my only practice is currently a distant third. It's still fun, but not as much fun for the last few months. I suspect that I will recharge during the winter and be ready to go again in the spring.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I've been feeling a bit of burnout lately. I know this because I've let considerations of the cost of ammo, match fees, and gasoline factor heavily into whether or not I shoot a given match. It tells me I don't really want to do it that badly right now.

So right now the "why I do it" is ambiguous. It's partially habit, and partially for the social aspects. The fact that it's my only practice is currently a distant third. It's still fun, but not as much fun for the last few months. I suspect that I will recharge during the winter and be ready to go again in the spring.
    Once in awhile I suffer from the burnout too. Then I just take a month or more off of all shooting, matches etc. No dryfire or anything. Then come back to it refreshed.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I try to break up the practice sessions sometimes to keep it interesting. Kind of like varying workout routines to "shock" your muscles.

True, sometimes, it's like you're holding a rock.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I try to break up the practice sessions sometimes to keep it interesting. Kind of like varying workout routines to "shock" your muscles.

True, sometimes, it's like you're holding a rock.
    Sometimes I get bored, to keep in interesting I'll switch formats like from Limited to Production etc. Next year I plan to shoot Production, Limited and some Single Stack. Same game but totally different strategy and methods i.e. in Limited because I'm shooting Major PF I can go balls to the wall (or as Larry Houck says: let it all hang out!) If I get alphas and charlies (A and C hits) it's okay. In Production you pretty much have to shoot all the alphas you can get because not matter what caliber you're shooting it's scored as Minot PF basically meaning if I shoot 2 charlies (C hits) it's like a Major shooting getting a miss as far as points go! That's why many call accurate Production shooters 'points shooters' because we go a little slower and try harder for alphas (alphas are scored the same for points no matter Major/Minor PF).

If I get some S&W sponsorship next year that I'm hoping for I'll be very likely shooting a 5" M&P9 and a maybe a S&W 1911 in USPSA!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post

I have been burned out for a few years now. My last major match was the 99 Nationals. I still shoot a bunch of rifle but lost the dedication/drive which is needed to perform at my top level with handguns.

My focus the past few years has been on hunting and recreational long range rifle shooting.

I do shoot all the local pistol matches I can because it is the only practice I get with my daily carry weapon.

GOTM4,

I have been toying with the Idea of getting back into the IPSC game shooting the single stack division. I have even gone as far recently buying a 38 super single stack thinking of taking advantage of the 10 rd mags. Which will allow me to play less conservative and play the edge more, even though I'd be shooting minor.

Since you seem to be active and well informed on who's shooting what these days....What are your thoughts on this?

Im itching to hit a major match again.........I miss the good people one meets at these events.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556 View Post

GOTM4,

I have been toying with the Idea of getting back into the IPSC game shooting the single stack division. I have even gone as far recently buying a 38 super single stack thinking of taking advantage of the 10 rd mags. Which will allow me to play less conservative and play the edge more, even though I'd be shooting minor.

Since you seem to be active and well informed on who's shooting what these days....What are your thoughts on this?

Im itching to hit a major match again.........I miss the good people one meets at these events.
    Yep the Single Stack rules make you have to have a minimum bore diameter of .40 to be major (like Limited).
    http://www.uspsa.com/rules/2008HandgunRules.pdf

BUT you can have 10 rounds per mag instead of 8 rounds. .38 Super would probably run a lot better than the 1911 9mms as well.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 11-15-07 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    I've been shooting primarily in the provisional single stack division since the rules were released a few years ago. It's quite a bit of fun!

On occasion I shoot a .45, but mostly it's my 9mm Springfield. I'm doing that 1) to save money on ammo, and 2) because it's fun. If you're interested in trying to actually win the competition, I'd say the .38 super would be a better choice because of the noted 10rd magazines. I can sometimes get 10rd super mags to work wtih 9mm in my gun, but not often enough to trust them (again) in matches. The one round advantage I have over the people shooting major PF with 8 rounds isn't enough to make the minor PF tradeoff worth it. I find myself slowing down even more than I would with a .45 because I have to get As...

Feedback Score
    I'm glad this thread was started. I often hear the old "I dont shoot matches because they aren't "relative" (or cause the development of bad habits, or whatever) and I've said that myself.

My feeling now is- Matches are what you make of them.

If you want to try to score well- go ahead.
    If you want to practice what you've trained, you can do that too. Nobody MAKES you reload in the open, leave cover to run in front of "live" targets, or any of other things I hear matches criticized for.

Just take your carry gun and holster, wear it like you carry it, go to the match, use the props and scenario given, and see if you do what you trained/practiced.
    I consider it a challenge to avoid the "speed trap". It's tempting at times to shoot for a better score than to shoot like I know I should be practicing. But if I shoot a stage and realize afterward that I ducked behind a wall to reload here, stayed behind cover there, etc, and did that without thinking about it- I take a lot more satisfaction out of that than placing two or three spots higher by doing it "the fast way".

Rhino can verify that the score isn't that important to me, or I'd never go back!

I can sit around home and gripe about how it "isn't relative" or I can go shoot the match and shoot it my way. Which does me more good?

Feedback Score
    Indeed, I can verify that Barry shoots both USPSA and IDPA matches in order to practice his defensive skills, and sticks with his own agenda. I find it refreshing to see him in USPSA matches, drawing from concealment, and pretending to use the props as cover (for real, not the minimal, IDPA Gamer way).

I will also add that he does pretty in the standings, despite his choices that do not enhance competitive success. He is too modest!

I have significantly less respect for people who claim they are shooting in one of the games (usually IDPA) to practice such skills and that they are "tactical" (cough!), then they whine when they don't "win." In 99.999% of the cases, they wouldn't have won anyway. Or even placed significantly higher than where they did. You can't blame failing to achieve your real agenda on someone else not being "tactical."

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast