Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we do it.

Feedback Score
    Well said, again any instructor that says that or looks down upon is being absolute and says something about himself...
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC View Post
    Well said, again any instructor that says that or looks down upon is being absolute and says something about himself...
    exactly -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter13 View Post

I never have understood why some tactical instructors look down on “shooting games”.
    Lots of reasons -

Some are true believers
    Some have over inflated egos
    Some have tried and been beaten, never to return to the game
    Some have never tried and drink the Kool Aide spouted by the true believers

Some have actually tried it and done well - LAV is a good example. Probably one of the best / well rounded instructors out there, IMO. There are more but he comes to mind.

Feedback Score

I think its a great proficiency tool for the fundamentals, we just need to know in our mind where the line is.
    Great point and it's just common sense. Shooting IPSC never kept me from seeking cover on the street as a cop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan W View Post
    Some have actually tried it and done well - LAV is a good example. Probably one of the best / well rounded instructors out there, IMO. There are more but he comes to mind.
    I believe there are a significant number of "true believers" who either don't know that Larry Vickers is a USPSA GM or they are in denial about it. I think some of them would have strokes if they had to acknowledge that reality.

I have a friend who is a cop in Illinois who was a combat controller in the US Air Force before he became a police officer. He's pretty much a tactical beast. He also happens to have an "M" card in Limited and a charter annual USPSA number. I don't think there is any doubt where his shooting skills were primarily developed, and they certainly complement the other skills he has.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I believe there are a significant number of "true believers" who either don't know that Larry Vickers is a USPSA GM or they are in denial about it. I think some of them would have strokes if they had to acknowledge that reality.

I have a friend who is a cop in Illinois who was a combat controller in the US Air Force before he became a police officer. He's pretty much a tactical beast. He also happens to have an "M" card in Limited and a charter annual USPSA number. I don't think there is any doubt where his shooting skills were primarily developed, and they certainly complement the other skills he has.

I've only shot a few majors that LAV shot - I think the first two Single Stack Classic matches, he was there - the first one for sure. He's the real deal on multiple fronts.

Feedback Score
    I treat shooting IPSC and IDPA like an electrical panel...
    before I step in the game mode I turn off all the tactical breakers and keep the heavy ones on like fundamentals, movement, sighted and unsighted fire, etc... and use the game as a building tool just for those circuits that are still on... then when I leave I turn all back on.

I think its a great proficiency tool for the fundamentals, we just need to know in our mind where the line is.
    Hey Travis,

I checked out your website. Impressive background and I think it's cool you guys are in the shooting sports side as well. Good on you man! That builds even more credibility in my book. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    I shot the Single Stack Classic in 1997, the last time it was at the Milan club. It was a great match, but I haven't been back because I've been boycotting Illinois since 1998.

I still remember clearly the incident on the "Swinging El Prez" stage where the RO forced me to wear the jacket provided by the match instead of my own jacket. It was at least six sizes too small, and after a long discussion with repeated warnings and appeals to logic, I complied with his directions and shredded the jacket as I put it on ... the classic "big guy in a tiny jacket" routine. I heard later that the jacket was his prized for working the match, so he got what he deserved. What a douchebag.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Damn you guys make me fell young at (37yrs old). I didn't shoot me first match until 2004.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Damn you guys make me fell young at (37yrs old). I didn't shoot me first match until 2004.
    My underwear is older than you are, Robb!

I didn't start shooting until 1994, though. I was 29, so I got a late start in life. Most people I know have been shooting their whole lives, even if they just started competitions recently.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast