Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we do it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    My underwear is older than you are, Robb!

I didn't start shooting until 1994, though. I was 29, so I got a late start in life. Most people I know have been shooting their whole lives, even if they just started competitions recently.
    I've been shooting since 1975 (age 5), just not matches!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I'm 44 - started in 94 and shot until 98 - I walked away to do other things for a number of years and then started back up in 2005.

Rhino,

I shot the first two SSC matches - both at the Milan club. I still have one of them on video. Those were great matches.

Feedback Score
    You got a head start!

I started learning to shoot in 1994. I didn't realize how much fun it was until I shot in a match for the first time in either 94 or 95. It was intoxicating! I think most of us have had the same experience.

And then I discovered 3-gun . . .

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

And then I discovered 3-gun . . .
    Yep 3gun is like crack!

I find 3gun the most fun, then USPSA, then Steel Challenge, then it's a tie for me for IDPA and GSSF. I actually probably find GSSF a little more fun because it's so accuracy oriented (time matters but imperfect shots will ruin you, leave a plate standing and 10sec is added to your time).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan W View Post
    I'm 44 - started in 94 and shot until 98 - I walked away to do other things for a number of years and then started back up in 2005.

Rhino,

I shot the first two SSC matches - both at the Milan club. I still have one of them on video. Those were great matches.

I think that would have been 95 and 96, correct?

When I started with USPSA, I used my current primary carry gun (a lightweight Para-Ordnance P14.45) and had not experienced the pleasures of the single stack 1911A1. When the 1911 Society was born, my club started having Single Stack matches immediately after the USPSA match using the same stages, but with 1911 Society Rules. I had to borrow a Colt from my brother, but I quickly learned how much fun it was to shoot single stack guns.

After I got my own single stack (a Colt 1991 Commander), I started shooting it in USPSA too because I enjoyed it more. That was in the days when we only had Limited and Open, but I liked my single stack better. People used to complain that they "had" to reload more with skinny guns, but from my perspective I had the opportunity to practice my reloads more often during the match.

When Limited-10 was born, I got some 10-rd mags and shot that division primarily until 1911 Single Stack divison came along. Now I shoot my 9rd 9mm. It eats for cheap!

Feedback Score
    Yep 3gun is like crack!

I find 3gun the most fun, then USPSA, then Steel Challenge, then it's a tie for me for IDPA and GSSF. I actually probably find GSSF a little more fun because it's so accuracy oriented (time matters but imperfect shots will ruin you, leave a plate standing and 10sec is added to your time).
    This may sounds crazy, but I think you should also try NRA Action Pistol if you have not done so already. If you like GSSF, you will see that the GSSF events were probably modeled after NRA AP matches. When you read about NRA AP, it sounds a little boring, but when you actually do it, it's a lot of fun. You also get to fire 192 rounds each match, and it's very accuracy intensive, but with time limits as well.

I do the following:

USPSA and other 3-gun/Multi-gun
    USPSA pistol
    NRA Action Pistol
    Steel Challenge (club matches)
    IDPA
    and even some bowling pins occasionally

I keep threatening to shoot some trap to improve my shotgunning, but it's too much like practice!

Feedback Score
    I think that would have been 95 and 96, correct?

When I started with USPSA, I used my current primary carry gun (a lightweight Para-Ordnance P14.45) and had not experienced the pleasures of the single stack 1911A1. When the 1911 Society was born, my club started having Single Stack matches immediately after the USPSA match using the same stages, but with 1911 Society Rules. I had to borrow a Colt from my brother, but I quickly learned how much fun it was to shoot single stack guns.

After I got my own single stack (a Colt 1991 Commander), I started shooting it in USPSA too because I enjoyed it more. That was in the days when we only had Limited and Open, but I liked my single stack better. People used to complain that they "had" to reload more with skinny guns, but from my perspective I had the opportunity to practice my reloads more often during the match.

When Limited-10 was born, I got some 10-rd mags and shot that division primarily until 1911 Single Stack divison came along. Now I shoot my 9rd 9mm. It eats for cheap!

Correct, the first SSC was in 95 I believe.

I started with a single stack too and then migrated to a para then the STI/SVI Limited guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan W View Post
    I started with a single stack too and then migrated to a para then the STI/SVI Limited guns.
    I did it backwards. Maybe I'll switch to revolver soon.

Feedback Score
    I did it backwards. Maybe I'll switch to revolver soon.
    That sounds brutal Rhino...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Damn you guys make me fell young at (37yrs old). I didn't shoot me first match until 2004.
    I'm 50 in less than one month ! ! !

(1) plinking .22 since elementary-school age,
    (2) adopted legally armed home/self defense (and plenty of for-fun range practice) somewhere ~ mid-1980's
    (3) USPSA limited and limited-10 from 1994-2002 (on-and-off)
    (4) IDPA (all catagories) from 1998-2006, and with alternating monthly rifle and shotgun side matches 2003-2006, and
    (5) 3-gun 2006 to present, although I all but took off during 2007, attending only three matches the entire year.

The rifle and shotgun side matches our local IDPA used to include were the best part of those matches, but sadly became no longer viable to continue beyond 2006. I agree that 3-gun is the ultimate, and our current local production does a phenomenal job (see here: http://bc3g.ath.cx/ and here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7508 ) Pistol-only matches now seem -- well, just anemic really.

Hence, I have pretty much dropped out of IDPA and been looking for a "new direction" shooting-wise. I was thinking lately that I hadn't really made any New Year's resolutions, that is until the thought occurred that our current 3-gun venue will not be around forever. So I've "resolved" to attend as many of these as possible during 2008 and hopefully beyond, while they're still around. I know I won't be able to make every month, especially once work gets really busy later this spring and summer, but I'm going to get to as many of them as I can. One day they too will be a thing of the past.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast