Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for shooting the IDPA classifer

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan W View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about IDPA other than I want to try it - I'd like to shoot a few regional matches then maybe the Nationals if I can. I mostly just shoot production in USPSA right now because I like shooting stock guns. We have a few IDPA master class shooters that shoot some of our local matches and they are B class shooters.
    So you're find the theory of B class (USPSA) / Master (IDPA) holds pretty true too.

Welcome to www.M4carbine.net Bryan!

If you have any shooting tips please share !
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I think the IDPA classifier is a pretty decent standards test - There are some great USPSA shooters that got their start in IDPA too - Bob Vogel, Ben Stoeger, and Sevigny. Those guys are all upper end GM's in USPSA now so I think the accuracy foundation that IDPA teaches is great. Those guys learned how to be accurate first then fast second and so they have the correct foundation to be upper end shooters in both sports.

I've been lurking here for a while - just got around to posting. It's a great forum, btw.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan W View Post
    GM -Limited
    Heh! I knew you were either B-class or better to do it on the first try. Welcome to this little corner!

I am "C-class forever!" in USPSA and a pretty lazy "sharpshooter" in IDPA. I know I could shoot Expert if I practiced the classifier a couple of times, but I don't see any point in it as it doesn't predict match performance very well. Shooting a Master score would be a challenge for me since I lose so much time on the movement to the barrel and going down on a knee on stage 3.

And gotM4 ... yeah, you're totally sandbaggin'! I'd have to bust my butt practicing for a few months to get to B-class, but getting an IDPA Expert classification would be . . . less labor intensive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reading this thread reinforces my reasons why I don't get "Classified" in any shooting sport. Cause it's mostly about titles and not performance at the drop of a Hat.

If I need my skill set (Which is why I train the way I do) to defend myself or the family.. the bad guy will care little what class I'm at.. and If I'm too slow.. I doubt he will allow me to "reshoot" until I get a better score...

Which is what I thought "Defensive" pistol shooting was always about....

And I know what Sandbagging is. and it amazes me that I know of shooters who do it just so they can be at the top of a certain class which looks good for the ego vs. being in the middle to the bottom of the class they really should be in...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Some of us view training as training and competition as competition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Reading this thread reinforces my reasons why I don't get "Classified" in any shooting sport. Cause it's mostly about titles and not performance at the drop of a Hat.

If I need my skill set (Which is why I train the way I do) to defend myself or the family.. the bad guy will care little what class I'm at.. and If I'm too slow.. I doubt he will allow me to "reshoot" until I get a better score...

And I know what Sandbagging is. and it amazes me that I know of shooters who do it just so they can be at the top of a certain class which looks good for the ego vs. being in the middle to the bottom of the class they really should be in...

Harv,

You seem pretty passionate about your position here and I totally respect that - Doing your own thing in terms of training is cool - only you can determine what's best for you regarding this issue. Let me say though that if you think you can reach the upper levels of competition without being able to perform on demand, you really don't understand what it takes to be an upper end shooter. Maybe I totally misunderstood what you were saying and you're just showing frustration with the sandbagger issue - not sure.

Competition is a game, but these games do teach a person a whole lot about how the shooting process works. It's a whole lot more effective in the long run, for many reasons, than just shooting drills to keep the skill level at PAR.

I've never really understood the anti-competition mindset and I don't drink the Kool-Aid when it comes to the thinking that it breeds a mindset that will get you hurt in a real defensive situation. I've been a LEO for 23 years and shooting competitively has enhanced my shooting skills substantially.

Other than those few comments you have my total respect for doing your own thing brother...at least you're training and that's a lot more than most people do.

Cheers,
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Maybe we need another round of "IPSC will get you KILLED!" articles in the gun magazines to bolster the anti-competition sentiment. It seems to be waning recently.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    To know yet to think that one does not know is best;
    Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.

-Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post

This particular forum is for and about competition. If you don't compete and you don't plan to compete, and only want to criticize people who do, then you have nothing of value to add to it. Perhaps you should utilize the other forums to discuss how you "train the way you do."

As far as sandbagging, I am fairly certain that there are no true sandbaggers participating in this thread. Move along with your .
    John 8:32 (KJV) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" -- Stephen Wright

Feedback Score
    Here's a link to some tips that are very similar to the above post our local club's webmaster put together on the classifier for those that are interested:
    http://www.ccidpa.org/clastips.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast