Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tips for shooting the IDPA classifer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks for all the tips!

I just shot the IDPA classifier for the first time this past weekend. Good fun I really appreciate all the feedback and advice on this thread, it really came in handy. Unfortunately, because I have been really busy for several weeks prior to the classifier I didn't get to practice or dry fire as much as I would have liked but still managed to pull out a "ok" performance. I had my GF out there as well and she was kicking butt! I don't know where she ended up falling in the classification scheme but she did look terrific shooting it lol

I shot my Glock 34 in SSP and ESP
    I made expert in both shooting a final score of 105 (way too many points down) in both divisions, atleast I'm consistent. I just "missed" (pun intended) my goal of making master in SSP but I'm sure I'll be able to improve on my score. On a good day I'm sure I could squirt under the bar but I'm happy that on a bad day I didn't shoot "too" shabby.

6 months till the next local classifier

GU

Feedback Score
    Good stuff !

Tagging on for more.

I like IDPA, is it end all be all? No but it is where you can shoot under pressure, work the basics and more.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Thanks for the tips, they were a big help.

Feedback Score
    Here is my take on the deal.
    First if you shoot only as fast as your sights will let you ,you will be fine. The key to these games is to be able to shoot quickly from any position. You need to cut down on wasted movement and be ready to shoot entering and leaving positions. As far as the classifier I was able to shoot a total time of 83.56 down 13 points. I did not feel overly fast and shot withen my ability. I do not rec practicing the classifier because you may get real good at it and get your ass handed to you at a major match.
    As far as these combat class comandos(which I have taken more than a few) that think competition will get you killed is obsured. They must think because we like the competitive nature of the game we have no common sense. Most combat type classes and range drills do not put any pressure or stress on the shooter. Thats why I preffer a competition setting to get my juices going.
    I have never bragged about being a master level shooter. I don't think I am better or cooler than anyone else , we all have our reasons for choosing the shooting sports. I for one love competition and I'm not going to lie I love to win as well.
    One more thing before I end this semi rant. No other sport have I ever done has the type of great people we do. Always willing to help and share advise. If some people refuse to be classified or share in our sport OH WELL.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A lotta good stuff here -- thanks everybody.

I don't agree though with the blanket NO on practicing the classifier. Although I do think that you should not practice only the classifier, doing so on some basis can provide a benefit.

(a) It is probably good to see where you stand with the classifier every now and then, especially if you haven't shot it in awhile. You can easily do so at your own convenience rather than waiting for the next match to come around, which can take up to several months.

(b) Practice shooting through the entire course-of-fire with for-real scoring also better helps to identify weak points for follow-up practice on string-specific drills. I recently did this and found I needed a lot more help on some strings than others. I've spent most of the past month focusing on improving those, while also maintaining (hopefully) the strings I've had less trouble with.

I've got a time slot at a local classifier match this Saturday, so will see then whether my strategy pays off.

ETA - It appears to have worked: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60924
    Last edited by blackscot; 08-24-10 at 05:52.

Feedback Score
    When I practice the IDPA classifier, I score and paste after each string, not stage. That way I can see what my weaknesses are and improve on them. I've kept records on my runs through the classifier for the last 10 years or so.

I also use the classifier to test gun, holster and ammo combinations to see what works best for me.

Bill

Feedback Score
    I think the IDPA classifier is one of the best sets of standards ever. For me it is all about the first two strings of stage 1 (the heads) and the first two strings of stage 3 (the barricade) I have kept spread sheets of my classifier times since the early days of IDPA it is always interesting to compare times from years ago

Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why didn't I read this earlier this afternoon!?!?!?

I was shooting unclassified in SSP because this was my third match...ever.

115.something was my time after adding in points down. I was six points down after stages one and two...things were going well. After stage three you might ask? Suddenly I found myself thirty four points down for the classifier. Should have remembered perfect sight picture/perfect trigger control come that stage.

Those sixteen seconds wouldn't have gotten me to master...but they would have gotten me so damn close.

So instead of concentrating on things like target to target transitions, reloads, split times, and hauling ass, I get to spend my practice time shooting at bullseye targets from distance.

An hour or so before the classifier I had put ten or fifteen rounds on a six inch steel plate at thirty-some yards without a miss...but add in the clock and a sense of urgency that wasn't really there and my bullets found the -3 and -1 more often than is acceptable.

ETA:I shot it truly virgin, but I wish I'd have at least run it once on my own time!
    Last edited by thopkins22; 08-24-11 at 22:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    To know yet to think that one does not know is best;
    Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.

-Lao Tzu
    This quote reminded me of the Dunning-Kruger effect I learned about in college psychology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Basically: Unskilled/Dumb people over estimate themselves. Skilled/Smart people underestimate themselves.

Here is a quote from the wiki thats pretty funny (because I know people like this)

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
    fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
    fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
    recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    [*] Perform a Tactical Reload (not Reload with Retention) on Stage 3 String 2, and the moment your fresh magazine is seated start sprinting towards the barrel. Get the spare mag stowed as you run.[/list]

Please heed these words. It is much faster

Also, shoot in this position
    around the barrel, it keeps your body upright and in its same firing position. Doing a high kneeling and craning your back will throw your game off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234