Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tent size

Feedback Score

Tent size

I am looking to purchase a tent and was looking for a few opinions. first of all I want something more or less low-profile and easy to pack and carry, preferably OD green in color. Second I was wondering, if I plan on using this for myself only, would yall recommend a one man or two man tent? I like that a one man tent is obviously smaller but with a two man I would be able to keep my pack and other gear in the tent with me. I've been on multiple backpacking treks and have experience with both types of tent so I am leaning towards a two man. What do yall think?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I like the Big Agnes Seedhouse tents. Get one rated for how many people you plan to sleep +1. In other words get a two man if you're the only one that will sleep in it. As a plus their green color is sort of a sage that can blend reasonably well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would definitely get a 2 man. It's nice being able to keep you gear inside and dry. Are you looking for a 4 Season or a 3 Season tent. 4Season is heavier but more durable.

Feedback Score
    I had a 1 man tent for 10 years. It served me well, but...there is no room for gear or.....the boots sit outside, if you are wet there is no place to take things off and keep the rest of the gear dry. In general, it really sucked when the weather got bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I like the Big Agnes Seedhouse tents. Get one rated for how many people you plan to sleep +1. In other words get a two man if you're the only one that will sleep in it. As a plus their green color is sort of a sage that can blend reasonably well.

More recently I bought a BA Seedhouse 2. I bought the light weight version. I like it. Get the foot print also. The only thing they screwed up on is the gear hammock. It is in the wrong location. You can not stuff a coat in there. You can not access a flashlight in them middle of the night in there. In general, they screwed up the hanging points.

Conclusion, I would buy the seedhouse again, but not the gear hammock.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I run a Eureka Backcountry 2 and am very happy with it.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I vote for a Black Diamond Firstlight. When you cut off the extra buckles, the cutsie line slides (use knots they're lighter) and take out all but 4 stakes the thing is 2.5 lbs. You can sit up in it, sleep 2 big guys keeping packs outside. I lived in one for 34 straight nites while on a mountain trek. The only downside for you is that it is yellow. I liked the yellow, it looked good in photographs.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...irstlight-tent
    Last edited by 91Bravo; 05-25-11 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    I am looking to purchase a tent and was looking for a few opinions. first of all I want something more or less low-profile and easy to pack and carry, preferably OD green in color. Second I was wondering, if I plan on using this for myself only, would yall recommend a one man or two man tent? I like that a one man tent is obviously smaller but with a two man I would be able to keep my pack and other gear in the tent with me. I've been on multiple backpacking treks and have experience with both types of tent so I am leaning towards a two man. What do yall think?
    There are a ton of really good tents out there. Is there any specefic reason you want an OD green tent? I have a couple tents, but this is really going to depend on your application.

Are you backpacking?

Are you carcamping?

I don't know much about carcamping ... but if you are backpacking I am pretty satisfied with my northface quatz 22. Of course it is not OD green ... maybe you can dye the Fly OD green? It weighs just 5 lbs, which is perfect for my 2 day backpacking trips in the mountains.
    Noel A. Robleto
    Instructor / Owner
    Virginia Tactical
    noel@virginia-tactical.com
    703-439-9321

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I bought a Sierra Designs Lightning XT2 about a year ago. It is a 2 person tent. Approx 80"x53". It has enough room for my Sleep pad, Sleeping bag, Backpack, and other gear. The vestibule allows for dry storage of boots. Has been waterproof so far. When my dog Keely comes along, she and I have enough room inside, as well.

Very light about 4lbs with fly and ground cover.

I really like it. Packs down really small. I carry a Kifaru Navigator and my backpack, a little over kill, but I like it.

Jason

Feedback Score
    Nemo Tents has some excellent backpacking tents...Nemo Equipment
    Dulce bellum inexpertis

Feedback Score
    +1 on Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 SL. I have used this tent for over 5 years in alpine storms and the north Georgia mountains. When I bought it, it was the lightest 2-man tent on the market. Not sure if it still is. It packs down to about the size of a 2ltr, including footprint, less the poles. It is caveman to set up fast in nasty weather. Huge win.

Last edited by BlackBearHardware; 05-28-11 at 17:22. Reason: add images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast