Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock River Arms .308

Feedback Score

Rock River Arms .308

Hello.

I'm looking to add my first .308 AR to the stable and haven't found a whole lot of info on the RRA .308 line-up. What I have found browsing the web is mostly positive, but figured I'd ask the experts here, as I've learned much from this site regarding AR-15's.

My intended use of the rifle will be mostly fun at the range, with max distance being 600 yards, however I would like to take a deer with it eventually.

Is the RRA a contender, or would I be better served purchasing a DPMS/BM? I have trouble believing what I've read about the quality/performance of their rifles. I've read so many negatives about both companies AR-15's, as well as seen issues with them at the range. RRA on the other hand makes a fine AR-15, and being in IL and shooting with many of our local law enforcement I've got to fire many, and haven't seen any issues yet. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Have you tried the search feature? There are a few threads on the RRA .308, and even more on the DPMS (which finds a little more favor). In any event, you won't find much RRA, or DPMS, love at M4C.
    Last edited by 40Arpent; 05-25-11 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Being an LEO from IL., and having 25 RRA 16" AR's in our armory that were purchased a few years back by a boss who didnt know any better, I would never recommend anyone purchase a RRA rifle as a first choice over another quality option such as the LMT or LaRue.

We had 25 RRA 16" middy AR's delivered to my PD a few years back on a department purchase directly from the RRA factory and 15 of those were non-functional. They all had faulty FCG's which would not allow the trigger to reset. They did replace the FCG's and correct the issue promptly, but there is no reason more than half of the delivered rifles to a PD should be DOA.

While RRA may be a bit cheaper than other quality options available on the market, you get what you pay for.

That being said, if you absolutely have to have one of the lower priced .308 options that are available on the market, I would say go with the DPMS. It is compatible with all of the KAC patterned magazines (7.62 Pmag compatible) and parts, and the other accessories that are available on the market for that platform. The RRA uses many proprietary parts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    DPMS .308's are accurate and take pmags. I have had no trouble out of either of mine.

Rock River take fal mags which may be in any condition imaginable when you get them.

Feedback Score
    20 inch Armalite ,and never look back .Factory mags are now $30.00 for a 20 rounder and they work like a dream .
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Save your money and get a quality gun.

If a company can't make quality AR15's I have even less confidence in them making a working 308 AR which tends to magnify problems and everything else.

I would also stick with the SR25 pattern mag guns since there are the most choices there, and you're not stuck with single source mags.

Feedback Score
    These are nice ,and with decent glass you are up and running under $1900.00 with 6 mags,a decent scope,and an Armalite mount . Mine with an Armalite free float tube ,6 - 20 round 2nd gen mags ,Armalite mount,Weaver Classic Extream 2.5-10x50 ,30mm tube and NM trigger gets .75 inch groups at 100 yards 5 shot groups,with Fedral GM 168 smk . I'm in mine $1600.00 . The best part is it is 100 % relieable ,no FTF's no FTE's,and the real surprise is it gets 1.5 inch groups at 100 with Port ,Dag,Hirt,and Ausi surpluss ammo with no malfunctions what so ever with over 550 rounds fired so far .http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/58345
    Last edited by GONIF; 05-26-11 at 17:44.
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
    These are nice ,and with decent glass you are up and running under $1900.00 with 6 mags,a decent scope,and an Armalite mount . Mine with an Armalite free float tube ,6 - 20 round 2nd gen mags ,Armalite mount,Weaver Classic Extream 2.5-10x50 ,30mm tube and NM trigger gets .75 inch groups at 100 yards 5 shot groups,with Fedral GM 168 smk . I'm in mine $1600.00 . The best part is it is 100 % relieable ,no FTF's no FTE's,and the real surprise is it gets 1.5 inch groups at 100 with Port ,Dag,Hirt,and Ausi surpluss ammo with no malfunctions what so ever with over 550 rounds fired so far .http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/58345

So you're on here recommending guns and equipment you have a grand total of 550 rounds through?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trickytrix View Post
    Hello.

I'm looking to add my first .308 AR to the stable and haven't found a whole lot of info on the RRA .308 line-up. What I have found browsing the web is mostly positive, but figured I'd ask the experts here, as I've learned much from this site regarding AR-15's.

My intended use of the rifle will be mostly fun at the range, with max distance being 600 yards, however I would like to take a deer with it eventually.
    For your application, I would have no problems with the rra...every one I have shot has been really tight on the paper. If it's not gonna be a primary defense gun then it will get you there.

I have killed several deer with an armalite 308 but the varmint ar-10 platform is just too bulky and heavy for hunting when the turnbolt is superior for one shot / one kill. It would be a perfect gun for the larger nilgai down here along the coast & know guys who get them on the run!!

They say the dpms has more interchangeable and/or common parts but for hunting and paper, any will get what you want. If money wer no object, then I would build one from scratch w/ a 16" countour of my choice but not sure how that would get you @ 600 & am thinking of my own hunting application. If 600 was my main goal then a longer bbl would be in order & turns into a boat anchor so you gotta prioritize there fore sure.

The top shelf as mentioned are sweet and should be considered if your wallet is fat as well.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    For your application, I would have no problems with the rra...every one I have shot has been really tight on the paper. If it's not gonna be a primary defense gun then it will get you there.

I have killed several deer with an armalite 308 but the varmint ar-10 platform is just too bulky and heavy for hunting when the turnbolt is superior for one shot / one kill. It would be a perfect gun for the larger nilgai down here along the coast & know guys who get them on the run!!

They say the dpms has more interchangeable and/or common parts but for hunting and paper, any will get what you want. If money wer no object, then I would build one from scratch w/ a 16" countour of my choice but not sure how that would get you @ 600 & am thinking of my own hunting application. If 600 was my main goal then a longer bbl would be in order & turns into a boat anchor so you gotta prioritize there fore sure.

The top shelf as mentioned are sweet and should be considered if your wallet is fat as well.

Its not how fat your wallet is its a matter of patience and determination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast