Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking Shoes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a pair of Vasque that served me well and kept me nice and dry very far north in the Canadian wilderness.

I recently picked up a set of Salomon GTX 4D’s that are comfy but still too early to write a verdict on them.

So far so good on the Solomon boots.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    merrell moab! goretex or if know no water the ventilated... no question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've gotten mostly Merrell's, still have a pair of Moabs, and also had good luck a couple years ago with a pair of Lowa Renegades.

Currently wearing Keen mid Durand--I ended up liking these better than the Lowas for mountain hiking and trail hiking in the wet PNW. Because they are mid and waterproof, which is good in in my area, they might be a bit overkill and hot for the OP in FL. For that, I guess I'd find a pair of waterproof regular-height Merrells that you like.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebone View Post
    merrell moab! goretex or if know no water the ventilated... no question
    Ive heard very bad thing about Merrell's recent quality.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ive heard very bad thing about Merrell's recent quality.
    They had a quality problem and then they changed some things and the quality has improved.

While I think it could be a little better they are not falling apart from stepping on a rock a couple of times.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For lightweight, more shoe style hiking footwear, I like Salomon. I have the X-Ultras IIRC. Good quality, lightweight nice and knobby tread.

For heavy boots, though not cheap and not heavy but they are super tough are my Asolos 200 GVs. Goretex, have ability to hook crampons on. Tough sole. They feel great. I would spend the money again when (if) my current pair wears out.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 12-25-19 at 13:18.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I picked up a pair of Oboz last year. They are the best I’ve had.

Feedback Score
    I use Salomon x-ultra and Quest 4D’s. for heavier hiking boot my Kentreks have been pretty good to me but they are definitely heavier.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic79 View Post
    I use Salomon x-ultra and Quest 4D’s. for heavier hiking boot my Kentreks have been pretty good to me but they are definitely heavier.
    This. I love my Salomons. I also use the x-ultras for light hiking and the Quests for backpacking/difficult terrain hiking. They're both the gortex versions. I've been very happy with the comfort and durability of both. I used to just rock a single pair of the x-ultra mids, which were great as well, but I finally wore them out.

Feedback Score
    Kennetrek here, Mountain Guide Insulated. And agreed that the Salomons are as good as it gets for lightweight, warmer weather.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast