Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking Shoes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Reading the reviews at REI, the Salomon's appear to be having problems recently with a plastic part breaking.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Did you not like the Zephyrs? I was thinking of getting a pair of the GTX Mids for wet weather training and hiking/backpacking...
    I love them. They are extremely comfortable and supportive. The downside is that the soft sole that makes them soft on the feet doesn't seem to last as long. Everything's a trade off.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    I love them. They are extremely comfortable and supportive. The downside is that the soft sole that makes them soft on the feet doesn't seem to last as long. Everything's a trade off.
    I know this is more subjective, but would you say that if you have strong feet and ankles, then you could carry a load with these? Or are the mid-soles too soft?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I know this is more subjective, but would you say that if you have strong feet and ankles, then you could carry a load with these? Or are the mid-soles too soft?
    For my $0.02, these are not what you want with a decent load on. They're light weight hikers.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    For my $0.02, these are not what you want with a decent load on. They're light weight hikers.
    Ok thanks...I guess I'll get these for training, and another for hikes with a heavier pack...doesn't seem to be a good medium out there tha can do both...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hiking shoes

If you want a light pair for just knocking around, try Colemans Galatin boots. They are light weight and are low cut.
    I have diabetic issues with my feet and have tried various brands, my employer pays for Worx work boots and I find them too heavy for every day use but the Galatins with an insole from New Balance look like the answer for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I hike regularly in rough, mountainous terrain in a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV Hiking Boots. I like my ankles to have support since rolling them is a real possibility almost every step. I will second what was mentioned earlier in that I have seen several Tier 1's in Salomon's and they recommended them.
    Last edited by 6933; 06-11-11 at 22:46. Reason: spellin'

Feedback Score
    +1 for the Merrell Moabs.

I also have the gortex Merrell Chameleon for cooler weather. Neither have ankle support, but are great for light hiking or camping.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just a report on the moabs I bought. One week at Scout camp in Alabama and they held up great walking all over the place over rolling (for the most part) terrain with a very light load.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    I agree with this 99%. The exception is that I like my Lowa's just a little bit better. But you can not go wrong with the Salomons.

Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra MID's. Most comfortable lightweight hiker I have ever owned. I have never gone cheap on my footwear (Asolo, Lowa, Danner), and these are as good as it gets in my book. They are now on sale @ REI for $120: http://www.rei.com/product/811331/sa...ing-boots-mens

They also make a low top version as well: http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...:referralID=NA

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast