Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking Shoes

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    I have and wear the XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX almost daily.

My issue came with heavy use. The lace system has failed on each shoe with almost daily use over a period of about 6 to 8 months. I called and got free replacement laces, but they are not of the same durability as the original laces. It could be a pretty big issue out in the field as the eyelets are too small for 550 cord or anything else I had on hand.

I prefer the Quest or the Wings Sky model from Salomon.

Feedback Score
    I wear moabs all the time for hikes and packs lighter than 35lbs. And love them. But for heavier packs I'm using the Danner combat hikers. Extremely durably so far and comfortable with a 60lbs pack. One of the few Danner boots still made in the USA.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I tend to prefer the Refuge Core line from Merrell. They have lows, mids, vented, non-vented, and waterproof versions of them. Super comfy, excellent shock absorption, and pretty lightweight.

I have been wanting to try Salomons for some time now but haven't done so yet. I hear nothing but great things about them.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Would any of the shoes/boots described in this thread be good for someone with low/no arches who does not want arch support? I am looking for a good pair of shoes in this style, but find any shoe with much, if any, built in arch support to be pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 1 View Post
    Would any of the shoes/boots described in this thread be good for someone with low/no arches who does not want arch support? I am looking for a good pair of shoes in this style, but find any shoe with much, if any, built in arch support to be pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks.
    What's the intended purpose?

If its for backpacking, I think you would be hard pressed to find something without arch support.

If its for light hiking or trail running or whatever else...look into the "barefoot" options like the Merrell Trail Glove, Vibram Five Fingers, or one of New Balances Minimus shoes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Light hiking/trail running/general wear. I will look into those (except the five fingers because I just can't get past the toes). Thanks very much.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 1 View Post
    Light hiking/trail running/general wear. I will look into those (except the five fingers because I just can't get past the toes). Thanks very much.
    Same here that's why I will be getting a pair of the Trail Gloves

Just a note...If you really care about the "barefoot" feel, then the NB Minimus has a 4mm heel lift while the Trail Glove has none. But I heard that the NB has slightly more protection for the soles of your feet but I still think I, personally, will go with the Trail Gloves.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can't say I really know from the barefoot feel. I will try and find someplace where I can try them both on. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been wearing Merrell Trail Gloves for about 3 months. Great shoe. I ditched my Vibram 5-Finger TrekSports for them. I run on the treadmill with the Trail Gloves and never get hot spots like I did with the 5-fingers.
    IMHO, this is the best product Merrell has come out with in a while.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geistacwm View Post
    I've had numerous pairs of Merrell's and am happy with them every time.

I always make it a point to go to roadrunner for the experience and 60 day policy.

Returned two with no hassle.
    I agree about Merrell shoes.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast