Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking Shoes

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    These are sweet I own a pair. Great. A little ligh for serious up and down mountain hiking...but water prrof light and confy.

Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra MID's. Most comfortable lightweight hiker I have ever owned. I have never gone cheap on my footwear (Asolo, Lowa, Danner), and these are as good as it gets in my book. They are now on sale @ REI for $120: http://www.rei.com/product/811331/sa...ing-boots-mens

They also make a low top version as well: http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...:referralID=NA

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    La Sportiva, Merrel, Asolo, Vasque
    These are some that have worked well for me. Also sight below has some killer deals from time to time/.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The best all around shoe I have ever worn, from Iraq and Afghanistan to wearing around town, was the Merrell Chameleon Stretch I. I don't think they are made any more, but I know you can occasionally find new pairs on the internet.

Unfortunately, after almost 3 years, they are now my lawn mowing shoes.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I wear the Merrell MOAB's in warm weather and have a pair of Scarpa Kailash's that are Gore-Tex lined for cold weather.

My feet sweat too much for Gore-Tex lined boots in the summer.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

boots

I like the merrells too, I was stationed in 29palms and between there, living in palm springs and Iraq and the Stan I became a huge fan of the Merrell Ventilator. Comfortable and light and super cool, also enjoyed the Oakley shortie SI but they fell apart after just three or four mission in Iraq. A boot that falls apart that fast should not cost $180.00. I love the Asolo boots also, a bit more narrow in the last but fit my feet well. Cant remember the model but much stiffer tortionally which is great for more weight. The Danner are rugged but man are they heavy, have four pairs of them currently.
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Feedback Score
    Took off this weekend for a 3day 24 mile backpacking trip through Red River Gorge with the Danner CH's. Really loved them. Got pored on and feet stayed dry. No hot spots while carrying 52 lbs. Carried more weight than I needed just for the workout and boots were awesome. After wearing those usmc bellveiws through all my deployments the combat hikers didn't feel so heavy, but compared to my merrels it's a different story.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    One follow-up on the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra Mid's....

The lacing system sucks balls. Works great for about a month, then the "Quicklace" lace-locks wear out and wont hold tight for more than a few minutes of hiking. Luckily I brought a replacement set of "Quicklaces" out to Colorado with me on vacation that I got from REI. I will probably try to find a good set of regular laces to replace these with once this set wears out.

Other than that they worked great. Very comfy, waterproof, great traction.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    I get new hiking shoes once or twice a year because I spend all day at work with 30-95lbs on my back and the most comfortable for me in this order are

Keen
    Asolo
    Salomon

I cant recommend specific models because everyone is different but that's why there is zappos.com
    Keen is by far the most comfortable shoe I own but the ones I like the most are hot

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Damn...

I really wanted a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX but after reading all the bad reviews about the lacing system being basically "JUNK" I have to find something else.

Merrell has always been good to me so maybe something to look at.
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    One follow-up on the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra Mid's....

The lacing system sucks balls. Works great for about a month, then the "Quicklace" lace-locks wear out and wont hold tight for more than a few minutes of hiking. Luckily I brought a replacement set of "Quicklaces" out to Colorado with me on vacation that I got from REI. I will probably try to find a good set of regular laces to replace these with once this set wears out.

Other than that they worked great. Very comfy, waterproof, great traction.
    +1

The lacing WILL fail. It's a matter of months. If they had regular laces I would own another pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Has anyone ever tried gravy in a camelbak?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast