Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning your AR - how many rounds before you do it?

Feedback Score

Cleaning your AR - how many rounds before you do it?

After I go to the range for target shooting / plinking, I always clean my guns. I am pretty anal about it.

When I hunt (if I don't shoot it), I just wipe down the exterior.

However, if you were to take your AR out hunting or just to check your zero and fired a dozen rounds, would you clean it before you put it back in the safe?

How anal is too anal?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A rifle barrel is essentially fouled after only 1 shot. Try cleaning the barrel after firing a single shot. It might surprise you... it did me. If you fire a handful of rounds you could get away with just cleaning the bore.

On the other hand, Rob_s only cleans every 1000 rounds or so.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    You’re not anal.

I disassemble and clean all my guns after I shoot them. Everything in the safe gets cleaned every few months. Carry guns get cleaned and inspected every week. Carry ammo get rotated every six months.

There are only three types: Trained, Un-trained or JAFO.
    Which one are you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A little off topic but I used baby wipes to clean my BCG in Iraq one time(ran out of CLP) - noticed a little rust but it functioned flawlessly in a following firefight.

You will probably get a different answer from everyone.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 10-12-07 at 12:46. Reason: typo...late night
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    AR's have to be cleaned?
    A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches...

Feedback Score

Cleaning your AR15

Not sure if you had seen this but I think it answers your question: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I actually enjoy the cleaning part. I have grown to love the smell of Hoppes and don't consider any range session complete until I get my hands slimed with Hoppes, Slip 2000, CLP, etc. Mine get cleaned every time they're used, and relubed every six months or so if they are not.

A clean and properly lubed gun is a happy gun...
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    I do not clean after every range session unless a LOT of rounds were fired. I enjoy cleaning my guns but just don't feel the need to clean them every single time.

If my AR was not cleaned during the last trip to the range I'll drop a couple drops of Miltec on top of the gas rings through the holes in the bolt to keep eveything lubed up nicely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter13 View Post
    You’re not anal.

I disassemble and clean all my guns after I shoot them. Everything in the safe gets cleaned every few months. Carry guns get cleaned and inspected every week. Carry ammo get rotated every six months.
    That's good to know because I have known to clean my rifle after I get back to the range and then out of the blue, I might put a round through my suppressor out in the back yard and then ended up recleaning the rifle afterwards.

Feedback Score
    Wow - cleaning a gun after it has sat in the safe! That is the first time I ever heard that one.

I was always taught as a child that it was just "wrong" not to clean your gun after you shot it. It was bad discipline.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast