Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning your AR - how many rounds before you do it?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I mostly just practice on the SBR. It's pretty much my go-to gun. As a retired cripple, I think defensively (close range) most of the time these days. I don't really need long range precision, and I don't need to spend my time cleaning... I just need my shit to run.
    This is why the only gun I clean, lube, and inspect thoroughly is my House SBR.... so I find myself not shooting so I don't have to do a 100% cleaning.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can’t remember the last time I cleaned my A.I. 6.5CM. Today I took it out, shot a 5 shot group of .66 moa, then proceeded to take it to 800 yds, then 1000yds. 3 out of 3 at both distances.
    They don’t need to be cleaned that often.
    Only when accuracy degrades.

C35E5464-EB2E-4672-B416-2C77EA7E59D9.jpg
    Last edited by Vegasshooter; 10-08-18 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My routine is pretty simple:
    - The firearms that I use frequently get lubed for each outing, but don't get cleaned all that much. Maybe once a year or every ~1000-ish rounds.
    - Stuff that I take out only rarely gets cleaned as soon as I get around to it...Usually within a couple weeks.
    - I also make sure that everything in the safe gets an oiled patch pulled through the bore and the metal wiped down once a year to prevent corrosion.

Feedback Score
    I usually clean any firearm after a range trip. I'm pretty anal about it, but I enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    I don't really enjoy it, but I clean mine after any shooting as well. Just a habit I got into as a kid.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by squid8286 View Post
    I don't really enjoy it, but I clean mine after any shooting as well. Just a habit I got into as a kid.
    That's the thing... over the last few years, I grew out of that routine. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have believed that I'd be saying I haven't cleaned an AR in over a year.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What cleaning interval is truly necessary to keep an AR running is quite long... Now for peak accuracy, or suppressed use, it is probably a little more intensive.

All I do is put an oiled patch down the bore and wipe down/lube the BCG after every range trip. I wouldn't even have to do the lube thing except I primarily shoot suppressed, and this keeps the TON of fouling that is sent into the BCG in suspension and easy to wipe off.

Barrels get a deep clean every 8-12 months, or between 750 and 1000 rds. Despite these lengthy intervals, my 18" AR has delivered consistent 600 yd+ accuracy and groups <1 MOA, with 100% reliability.

Any more intensive maintenance than that is really dependent on how much the user likes to finger bang their stuff rather than shoot it.

Feedback Score
    I don't clean guns often. I do, however keep them wet. I'll pull apart guns every several thousand rounds (once or twice a year) and check for parts breakage.

Feedback Score
    If I shoot a couple hundred rounds through a rifle and know that I’m going to do it again the next week and the week after that I won’t clean it until a thousand rounds or more. If I shoot a rifle I know I won’t shoot again soon then I’ll clean it that day.
    Cleaning is time consuming being that I don’t have a bench and have to return all cleaning equipment to it’s spot afterward. I work 66 hours a week and don’t have time to spare.
    Now if and when I retire I WILL enjoy cleaning guns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I last cleaned mine when George W. Bush was president. Really. Since then I've shot several thousand rounds w/o a hiccup.

Google "Cleaning your ar-15 is pretty much a waste of time." He explains well why this is true. The Stoner action does not "poop where it eats." Rather, it is self-cleaning. Or google "Filthy 14."

This is true, of course, only of combustion products. Extrinsic dirt that gets in from the environment is a serious problem and calls for prompt and thorough cleaning. Sand in the chamber will stop any gun.

I don't clean my ARs. I just keep adding CLP. AR will run wet and dirty all day; it'll stop if it's dry and dirty.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast