Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning your AR - how many rounds before you do it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've gotten lazy and undisciplined. I clean the guns I carry every couple times I shoot, and my ARs should probably be clean by Christmas or so. Here's the great thing though, they still go bang and make small groups.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    All I know is that if Pat Rogers logs in to give his two cents again, I'm outta here.
    I get what Pat Rogers was doing, but I do feel that his Filthy Fourteen encouraged some folks to skip/put off proper maintenance.

It is one thing to run a range weapon extended periods between cleanings - my range pistols (Glocks and M&P 2.0's) regularly go a thousand rounds between cleanings - rifles probably 1/3 to 1/2 that because I shoot then at less tempo. My seldom shot range toys and all .22's get cleaned before they go back into storage.

But anything that is carried, or goes in a vehicle, safe or other location with a magazine inserted, is clean, period. paragraph.

As others mentioned, cleaning gives me a chance to inspect and ensure.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    But anything that is carried, or goes in a vehicle, safe or other location with a magazine inserted, is clean, period. paragraph.
    That's why I do a Bi-annual qualification on my pistol. I was trying to qualify annually, but I really didn't want to buy pistol ammo, and clean it afterwards.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I genrally count in crates, but that depends on what condition the gun has been in to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    As others mentioned, cleaning gives me a chance to inspect and ensure.
    I inspect without overly cleaning, generally I check wear spots and stress points and re-lube. Heck if I was cleaning my guns too often I would have missed the cracks on a BCM bolt face during my last inspection.
    Last edited by Artiz; 10-05-18 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    Every time it is shot, it is cleaned.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For the clean every range trip camp, if I go to the range and run 300-400 rounds through my clean gun and then put it in the safe unclean, what happens to it? Serious question. I'm looking for the negatives outside of the obvious; a dirty gun might have a stoppage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    For the clean every range trip camp, if I go to the range and run 300-400 rounds through my clean gun and then put it in the safe unclean, what happens to it? Serious question. I'm looking for the negatives outside of the obvious; a dirty gun might have a stoppage.
    Probably nothing. Your hands get dirty when you take it out maybe?

The only thing I actually worry about with not cleaning is on my stainless precision barrels... if I don't have time to clean it, it at least gets a boresnake run through it with a little CLP a couple of times before it gets put away. I have no idea if anything could damage the barrel, but since it only takes me a few seconds and it lets me not worry about it I figure why not.

Otherwise it isn't about a concern over something bad happening for me. It's just about a desire to have a clean and inspected rifle when I put it away, and the enjoyment I derive from the process of doing so.

Feedback Score
    I clean my guns after a few range trips. Thing is, I use the cleaning room at the range and when done run one mag through the gun to confirm function. So my guns are never "clean" I guess...

Feedback Score
    After every range session I wipe the bolt down, run a borsenake down the barrel and re-lube. It takes 5 minutes and there's no reason not to do it.

Feedback Score
    The AR in my gun cabinet stay clean.

The SBR leaning in the corner waiting to shoot a home invader gets brushed off whenever I notice dust building up, or before I go practice with it.

The insides of both, get cleaned whenever I get bored, or after long periods of not remembering when the last time was. They do, however, get checked, and lubed often.

To be honest, I don't shoot the one in the safe that often, I mostly just practice on the SBR. It's pretty much my go-to gun. As a retired cripple, I think defensively (close range) most of the time these days. I don't really need long range precision, and I don't need to spend my time cleaning... I just need my shit to run.

This is about my normal routine...

Quote Originally Posted by markderp View Post
    After every range session I wipe the bolt down, run a borsenake down the barrel and re-lube. It takes 5 minutes and there's no reason not to do it.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 10-06-18 at 10:35.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast