Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Odd M16 Bolt

Feedback Score
    I hadn't even thought to look at the orientation of the cuts to the extractor.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I sent Dean Caputo a link to this as well as the pics, so we'll see what he has to say about it.

I almost wonder if that didn't come from an M231 port gun? Did they not at one point drop the ROF on the port guns, maybe this bolt was one of the mods to drop the ROF?
    Last edited by Hootiewho; 07-19-11 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting. Right click, save as.

I'd agree with what has been suggested- looks like a way of dealing with an over-gassed rifle, or reducing the cyclic rate. Those notches would line up with the carrier's vent holes- I'd question how effective they would be, though, since the bolt isn't sealing anything. The gas rings, which are left in place, are what creates the seal.

Still really cool.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    ...Those notches would line up with the carrier's vent holes
    I agree. They don't line up with the 'ports' for a M231 bolt carrier, though. Just an observation.

Feedback Score
    Any idea what model of rifle this bolt came out of?

Feedback Score

Bolt

Experimental?maybe one slipped through the cracks

Feedback Score
    I think it's interesting that the unusual machining on the tail of the bolt is indexed on the same clock position as where there is no locking lug on the front of the bolt. Over the years some armorers machined off the locking lug on the opposite side of the bolt from the extractor, so there would be even pressure on the front of the bolt when it is in full battery. This was done to enhance accuracy. Could this be a bolt out of an old division match rifle?

Let us know what you find out. This is a very interesting discovery.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-03-12 at 20:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oddly Enough, I think I have seen a bolt just like that.

I was helping the armorer at the Bozeman MT Nat Guard armory once and the armorer was showing me the M-16s they had in a rackl and I remember him showing me the bolts on a couple of guns and he made a big deal about the bolts being different.

At the time, I had no idea what he was talking about, but it very well could have been this. I remember all of the ones they had were old guns, like a 603 model and most had the 3 prong flash hider.

Which also may explain my love for the original M-16s...

Either that or it was SWAT with Robert Urich.

Feedback Score
    Personally I would look at reaching out to Reed Knight if you don't find an answer - maybe take the bolt to SHOT show and let him see it at the show; KAC has the world's largest and best AR collection so it would be a natural place to start

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Any updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast