Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger 5.56

Feedback Score

Ranger 5.56

Has any one actually used this ammo, The Winchester Ranger 5.56 frangible? I want to load like 5 mags with this ammo for LEO use (we have to buy our own patrol rifles). But I have not heard anything on what is better the TAP or the Ranger. Also I have heard that you need at least such and such of a twist to shoot a low grain frangible ammo, I have a 1x9.

Feedback Score
    I did not like the Ranger frangible. Shot 1000 rounds of the stuff. Did not penetrate window glass or light barriers. I still prefer the RA223R Soft tip 55 gr or the TAP 75gr HP. They are the most used by LEO agencies also.

There are only three types: Trained, Un-trained or JAFO.
    Which one are you?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My Pd uses this ammo on our indoor range. I have seen it keyhole at 5 yards out of an M16-A1. Stick with at least a 1/9 twist and you will be fine. Probably not a good choice for duty ammo.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I belive this is range ammo and will not frag in gelatin or people from what I have seen of tests done with frangible ammunition of this variety.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Frangible=range use only for steel/shoot-houses.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    Has any one actually used this ammo, The Winchester Ranger 5.56 frangible? I want to load like 5 mags with this ammo for LEO use (we have to buy our own patrol rifles). But I have not heard anything on what is better the TAP or the Ranger. Also I have heard that you need at least such and such of a twist to shoot a low grain frangible ammo, I have a 1x9.
    Outside of some specialty aps and locations, frangible is not a suitable duty load. (If you're in those venues, you're already issued something much better anyway.)

I've shot a bunch of frangible. All were best out of the 1/7s. 1/9s were okay.

There's copious amounts of data on duty loads out there, and previously posted here. Do you have to provide your own ammo, too?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The federal NT (frangible rounds) are 50 grainers. I've heard reports of nasty key holes from 1/9 barrels. The bullet itself is about as long as a M856 tracer since there's no lead in it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Outside of some specialty aps and locations, frangible is not a suitable duty load. (If you're in those venues, you're already issued something much better anyway.)

I've shot a bunch of frangible. All were best out of the 1/7s. 1/9s were okay.

There's copious amounts of data on duty loads out there, and previously posted here. Do you have to provide your own ammo, too?

FWIW, Evan Smith likes the 40gr varmint loads for open-air shots (i.e. no cars involved).

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter13 View Post
    I did not like the Ranger frangible. Shot 1000 rounds of the stuff. Did not penetrate window glass or light barriers. I still prefer the RA223R Soft tip 55 gr or the TAP 75gr HP. They are the most used by LEO agencies also.

Agree. Pass on the frang stuff. 75gr TAP or 77gr MK's is really the best way to go.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    FWIW, Evan Smith likes the 40gr varmint loads for open-air shots (i.e. no cars involved).
    Sorry, that name doesn't ring a bell.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast