Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your ideal folder?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Your ideal folder?

I haven't been able to find mine, and I somehow doubt it will ever actually be produced since it combines features that I believe three different makers have patents on. My list:

1) Benchmade axis lock
    2) Emerson wave
    3) Spyderco hole
    4) 3.5"+/- blade
    5) black-t type coating
    6) available both half and non-serrated
    7) pocket clip that can be attached at either end on either side
    8) $100-$150 (although if 1-7 were met I'd probably be willing to pay more)

Unfortunately, nobody makes it.

Benchmade used to make the 806 which had 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 but they discontinued the damn thing. Basically the blade was a little long at it didn't have the wave.

They also used to make the 550 which I thankfully managed to get one of and it has all but 2 and 7 (and I never got a half serrated partner for the plain edge I have). Blade is the right length but no wave and no ability to flip the clip for tip-down carry.

Spyderco makes the Endura Wave but the lock is too old-school for me, the handle material is a bit chintzy and the blade is a bit too long, doesn't come with a coating option, and doesn't come half-serrated.

They also offer the Delica Wave but it has the same shortcomings as the Endura only in this case the blade is too short.

Emerson makes the CQC-10 which is also very close but lacks the Axis lock and clip attachment options. I've also heard that they use a steel that's not as hard as one would want for a general purpose knife.

I managed to find a Benchmade 550, and even though the handle is an obnoxious OD, I can't find a half-serrated twin, the handle is all plastic, and it doesn't have the Wave, it's the best set of compromises I have come up with.

Anyone managed to find that daily carry folding knife that is the perfect combination of features for you?

Feedback Score
    That's an interesting list of specs that you are looking for. Luckily for me, I found my perfect carry knife in the Strider PT:

- Compact with a 3" blade that draws a lot less attention than my SNG did.
    - Lightweight Ti frame.
    - G10 handle.
    - Pocket clip.
    - Thumb hole.
    - Frame lock.
    - Kick ass quality.
    - Kick ass customer service.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Emerson uses 154CM which is a very good steel. It sharpens easier than S30V and is better than most others in terms of edge holding. I'm an Emerson fan, Strider after that. I've found my perfect folder, an Emerson Commander customized with a full titanium framelocked handle. I'll have to get a pic up. I have a model 10, I like it but it doesn't really see any use, as I've taken a liking to framelocks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I haven't been able to find mine, and I somehow doubt it will ever actually be produced since it combines features that I believe three different makers have patents on. My list:
    You don't ask for much, do you? That'd be a heckuva knife.

Anyone managed to find that daily carry folding knife that is the perfect combination of features for you?
    I like my Spydercos. Delicas, Enduras, Rescues, Natives. They perform my required tasks well, at a price point that isn't too injurious if they're lost or have to be abandoned.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    While many will question the practicality of this folder but I just ordered Emerson Super Karambit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I hace an Emerson CQC-7 w/ wave and half serrations and a Strider DB. I like the idea of the Tanto style blade if I have to punch through something.
    I carry the CQC-7 everyday in my pocket and keep the DB near my AR kit.

I think it is impossible to find one "perfect" piece of equipment. Everything is a compromise.

Jack
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    I carry a Benchmade 520 every day (Plain edge, 154CM) and it's incredible. Axis lock, stout blade, sharpens easily, and the cutting geometry is stellar.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackinfl View Post
    I think it is impossible to find one "perfect" piece of equipment. Everything is a compromise.
    Absolutely, but it doesn't mean we can't dream.

The CQC-10 is pretty close, and I could deal with the liner lock, but a knife for me is really and truly a work tool first and a weapon second. With my limited skills, a work knife can be pressed into a defensive role very easily (i.e. anyone can be stabbed or slashed with a Leatherman wave if need be), while the opposite isn't really true (try doing something practical with a Karambit ).

I guess this is why I've settled on the Benchmade 550 as my work carry knife. If it had the wave feature it would be pretty much good to go. Since they don't make it anymore, I'm considering changing to one of the Spyderco Wave models since they would be easier to replace if they get broken or lost.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by madryan View Post
    I carry a Benchmade 520 every day (Plain edge, 154CM) and it's incredible. Axis lock, stout blade, sharpens easily, and the cutting geometry is stellar.
    I really wish they made that knife with a thumb-hole instead of the stud. I think it's superior to my 550 in just about every other way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    With my limited skills, a work knife can be pressed into a defensive role very easily (i.e. anyone can be stabbed or slashed with a Leatherman wave if need be), while the opposite isn't really true (try doing something practical with a Karambit ).
    I knew Rob was going to take a "stab" at my Karambit choice. What can I say I like that folder.

I have been using Spyderco Delica for my everyday tasks and it has held up fine.

Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast