Thread: 870 HD tritium sights...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

870 HD tritium sights...

I've been looking at tritium sights for my 870 HD. I wanted to get some feedback on a few that I'm looking at getting. I'm really only interested in a front tritium and preferably no rear. Any suggestions are also appreciated!

These are the three I have been considering:

XS Big Dot Tritium Front Sights
    Trijicon RE01 (3-dot) or RE04 (ghost ring)
    Ameriglo Tritium Front Sight (front dovetail)

Feedback Score

XS Big Dot

I got a XS Big Dot from Brownells last week. It took a few minutes to install using JB Weld. I have not fired it yet but the installations was fool proof. Just make sure you sand, scrape or polish away the finish on the sight and pedestal when you mount it so you are gluing metal to metal not finish to finish (Thanks JD for this tip). The sight is huge and a God send for aging eyes... I will shoot it over the next couple of weekends inside and outside, but there are already many very good reviews posted.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think one of the best sight combos for the 870 is a factory rifle sighted barrel with a set of Meprolight True Dot night sights... They are drop in replacements for the factory sights and give a great sight picture...

Attachment 8956

Just my .02

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I run the Wilson/scattergun sights on my shotguns been happy with them.
    Former Vickers Shooting Method REI
    914 Consulting LLC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus View Post
    I've been looking at tritium sights for my 870 HD. I wanted to get some feedback on a few that I'm looking at getting. I'm really only interested in a front tritium and preferably no rear. Any suggestions are also appreciated!

These are the three I have been considering:

XS Big Dot Tritium Front Sights
    Trijicon RE01 (3-dot) or RE04 (ghost ring)
    Ameriglo Tritium Front Sight (front dovetail)
    There is quite a difference in the sights that you've mentioned, not only in the type of sights but especially in the amount of gunsmithing required to install them.

The XS front sight attaches to your existing front bead base with epoxy and is used as a front bead without a rear sight. It is the easiest to install and the simplest sight to use.

The RE01 and the Ameriglo sights require that you have a rifle sights already mounted to your barrel. Since the HD comes with a front bead, you would need to buy a new Remington barrel with rifle sights then install the tritium front and rear sight blades into the existing bases.

The RE04 ghost ring sights are similar to the Wilson/Scattergun sights. The front sight is glued on top of your existing front base but it really needs a cross pin drilled and installed as well for extra strength. The rear sight requires locating, drill and tapping two holes. Doing this requires a drilling fixture or a mill to properly locate the holes.

What type of sight system do you prefer, what are your gunsmithing skills and/or how much are you willing to pay to have them installed?