Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DPMS?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Buddy of mine bought an AP4 from VA Arms and it is a pretty nice rifle. It shoots pretty good we have just used SA as ammo not any good match ammo. Overall I would give it a thumbs up for sure.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    I shot an AP4 with SA surplus today and it absolutely railed.

Feedback Score
    We use them at work in our TRAPS and have a couple with thermals. They run ok but heat up very fast. We have had problems with breaking extractors. Ours will not run with anything other than KAC mags.
    S/F

Al

"Hold on to your hate, it helps you stay focused"

Feedback Score
    I purchased a DPMS AP4 in June of this year. This is an AR style .308 Winchester rifle with an m-forgery 16" barrel and collapsible stock. Right out of the box, this rifle had a problem. The first thing I did was inspect and clean the barrel. During visual inspection I saw some junk near the gas port. When I tried to run a patch through (Dewey rod and 30 cal jag) I couldn't get it through the bore no matter how hard I pushed. I finally cut the patches very small and was able to get a few through, but they came out cut up and covered with cutting oil and shavings. Not good.

I shot the rifle at the range, but the groups were not even on the paper. I finally bought two boxes of Federal Premium Gold Match BTHP ammo, mounted a 36x Leupold benchrest scope, and Jewell trigger, and shot it off sandbags from a concrete benchrest like it was a benchgun. (I have shot benchrest competitively for many years.) The best 5-shot group at 48 YARDS (!!!) was over 11". Soon after, I returned the upper receiver assembly and bolt carrier group along with the targets to DPMS for warranty service. They returned it two weeks ago with a new barrel, at no charge. While they were courteous and helpful, they did not pay for the shipping nor apologize for the aggravation.

I have friends that own DPMS rifles in .308 caliber that shoot very well, so I must conclude that this was a QC problem that got out the door. DPMS has proved their integrity, but their QC procedures are not adequate, IMO. This was not a cheap rifle. It was not a parts gun, but was purchased assembled from the manufacturer. I will probably not buy anymore DPMS products.

For what it is worth.

KYPD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12