Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Bolt Gun-Mosin 91

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Cheap Bolt Gun-Mosin 91

I didn't want to hi-jack the on going thread about cheap scout rifles, as I am considering going with a Mosin 91. I'm not expecting a precision long gun out of this, just utility.

What are your guy's thoughts on the rifle. I don't have or ever really had a bolt gun and I'm new to this weapon.

The price on these are cheap as with the ammo. I would be wanting to chop the barrel to something shorter and put some type of optic on it.

What realistic range would this be good out to? With them being surplus, how durable are they? Would this be a wasted effort? Anyone done something similar?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wasted effort. If you want a fun rifle and a piece of history, buy a Mosin and don't do anything to it but shoot it. Learn the irons. But don't try to make it into something it's not.

If you want a bolt rifle for a utility rifle (and maybe later more of a precision rifle), then buy something more modern. There are basic models of the Savage and Remington 700 series that will serve you very well, check out the Stevens 200, a very basic version of the Savage rifles.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    Wasted effort. If you want a fun rifle and a piece of history, buy a Mosin and don't do anything to it but shoot it. Learn the irons. But don't try to make it into something it's not.

If you want a bolt rifle for a utility rifle (and maybe later more of a precision rifle), then buy something more modern. There are basic models of the Savage and Remington 700 series that will serve you very well, check out the Stevens 200, a very basic version of the Savage rifles.

^^^ Absolutely right.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A discussion involving the gayest lubrication, pinkies, Popsicles, hammering balls and dripping guns, all in the same thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    I like living a life in which beer is an appetizer, the floor is just another shelf, and the world is my urinal.

Feedback Score
    If you want a short-barreled Mosin, try one of the carbine versions (M44, M38, or M91/59). The downside is that nowadays they're more expensive than the M91/30's.

Feedback Score
    Last year there was a guy who brought his scoped Mosin out to our 1K match. I somewhat watched him up until about 800-900 yds & he was actually on target at those distances with surplus ammo. I'm not sure if he grouped well, but he was scoring points. I was impressed.

Feedback Score
    I have not gotten my 91/30 or my M44s out to the range, yet, but all I have read....I am expecting them to be accurate. But the 1st responder is right, be sure to not try and make it something it is not. It's an old battle rifle, not meant for complications.

Feedback Score
    I had a FIN 39 that shot .25 to .5 MOA @100, engaged targets out to 725 meters,
    photo of M39

3 years ago I did a major work over on a FIN 39 replaced the barrel trued the action, replaced the trigger, stock and much more, bottom line is the other posters are on it, I have about 600.00 into the rifle not including the Sightron S3 scope. I only did it because I was stationed at NTC and well not a hell of allot more to do out there but use the rifle range and work 20 on 4 off..
    here is the rifle.

originally I made this in all blue but recently changed it to silver and blue
    it has M39 receiver, Rock solid mount, Sightron S3 scope, LW match barrel, richards microfit stock and I added a side safety timmeny trigger.

Last edited by SOTIC1993; 07-03-11 at 11:08.
    DA - B4 1992
    SOTIC 1993
    getting old but can still shoot

in memory of Harvey, 5th SFG Sniper Locker

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think when you buy a Nagant you get a whole lot of rifle for very little money. I had a 91/30 that was a damn good shooter. Thought I could make it better my turning the bolt and adding a scope mount. If you're thinking of doing that DON'T because its not worth it. Ended up shooting worse afterwards. Went back to iron sights and still shot great. My only complaint about the one I had was it would knock your d#*k loose when you fired it. I intend to get a M44 here soon, always liked the "shorter" version.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mosin

I bought a 44 from Big 5 sporting good store, got it on sale for 80 bucks. Kicks like hell, but I added a rubber shoulder boot and scope for the hell of it. It shoots softer with the boot but the scope doesn't want to zero so I might have to spend a little more range time to get it to ork right.

Feedback Score
    I agree with avenger 100%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast