Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest seals

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Well, I must respectfully suggest that a Hyfin takes up very little space, and weighs a lot less than a dead buddy. Mine is based on probability too- of dying from something that can easily be prevented.

Agreed, if the OP is in Iraq or any other place booger-eaters are looking to pop you. But I would be curious as to how many people who carry chest seals in their personal kits in the US has ever had to use a chest seal. To go out a bit further on a limb, I would be curious as to how many paramedics in the back of a bus have used a chest seal. My guess is not very many, and think very likely statistically insignificant. I would say the folks here are a tad of an outlier because we are cut from different cloth from the vast, vast majority of people who carry/use personal kits.

I have used kling, 4"x4", ABD pads, QC Combat Gauze, on the side of the road assisting injured morotists, but in 20 years have never seen a poor schmuck requiring a chest seal. My soapbox, but one I am fine to speak from.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post

If you are putting together a little kit for your glove compartment or the back of your vehicle or for under the bathroom sink, why waste the $$?
    Why carry a gun except at the range? They are expensive, heavy, and most people that don't go into harms way for a living will rarely have to actually use one.

I seem to remember that there is a member here who was in his car and was shot secondary to an ND by another passenger in his vehicle. I believe he was hit in the arm. A couple of inches and that would have been in his chest. Just a thought.

Is there no chance that you would be injured in a home defense shooting? I guess it isnt worth it to have a trauma kit near places where you would use your gun in defense of your life i.e. vehicles or home.

My comments are not really posed at you but more so the general forum. It is up to the individual to decide whether it is appropriate for them to spend money on such an item.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    To go out a bit further on a limb, I would be curious as to how many paramedics in the back of a bus have used a chest seal. My guess is not very many, and think very likely statistically insignificant.
    When I was riding a unit I used quite a few, however I was working in a city that at the time was getting a lot of penetrating trauma (gun shot wounds, stabbings, impaled objects removed by patient prior to arrival, etc). We had Ashermans because that was what my agency provided and they sucked. This was before the current generation of seals now available.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Mike, I hear you, and I agree (and have said) that people can carry/use whatever they want, and whatever brand; and I agree that people should decide what is appropriate for thier use and their hard-earned money. I understand your logic, but there has to be a line drawn for mere mortals (said tongue-in-cheek, about people who do not frequent this forum).

What I choose to carry is based on probability and the liklihood of use. Sure, I carry a pistol for CCW. But should I carry a shotty in the trunk? I carry a dart for needling a chest, but should I carry a chest tube (yes, I have the training)? I have a well-stocked first aid kit, I have several as I have 6 kids and they get stupid, so should I have a c-collar in case one falls down the stairs? The likelihood of needing these things are pretty low so I choose to not have them.

If someone wants to spend money for a widget, any widget, please have at; I just want people to be educated on the liklihood of actually using a specific item.

Feedback Score
    Halo chest seals....have two each of my med bags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Chuckman,

I understand your point of view. But, I can see events such as vehicular accidents, or outdoor activities in which a chest seal may be of use.

I don't depend on the police for my protection, nor the emergency medical units for my health in trauma based situations. If they show up, then they can do their job. Till then, it is up to me.

Likewise, I feel that if someone is involved in outdoor activities with guns, knives, and especially axes, a tourniquet should be part of their kit.

My views are probably not mainstream, but seven years OCONUS has changed how I view my CONUS medical preparations.

BTW, duct tape is a wonderful thing. Just today I read about it being more effective at removing warts than the OTC chemical means...lol.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    On the lighter side, has anyone noticed how Hyfin seals in the packaging look like a very large condom? I suppose that's one to show to the ladies and say you're big on safety gear.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    I like the HALOs and the Sentinels. The only problem I have with them is they don't fit where I use to have the Ashermans. If you do get a Asherman, do not get the civilian ones get the "combat" ones with "improved" stickiness
    Tin-The new fashion statement.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    On the lighter side, has anyone noticed how Hyfin seals in the packaging look like a very large condom? I suppose that's one to show to the ladies and say you're big on safety gear.
    "Very large?" I'd say a small! HA!

edited to add: I am sure my wife and any previous girlfriends would disagree with my assessment.....
    Last edited by chuckman; 06-09-11 at 06:33.

Feedback Score
    I'm a ER physician and SWAT team medic. I carry an asherman in my kit, but to tell the truth probably would use the wrapper from one of the dressings as an occlusive seal. Take the wrapper from an Isreali dressing and put it over the wound and duct tape it to the chest on 3 sides and it works just as well as anything else.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast