Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you own a .45?

Feedback Score
    I have to carry an issue USP .45 on-duty, off-duty, I carry a USP Compact .45 so I have the same system, controls, etc.

Feedback Score
    I like the large magazine capacity of a 9 mm and when using the right load, terminal performance is fine, although intermediate barriers can be problematic. Although I like to shoot the Hi-Power better, the Glock 17/19 are about the perfect out-of-the-box universally available pistols.

The .45 ACP definitely has a terminal performance edge, especially with ball, but at the expense of either a larger platform or reduced magazine capacity. I shoot better with a 1911 than any other pistol I have tried, but 1911’s do require extra effort and expense to get right. I have not gotten excited about other .45 pistols I’ve been issued or used.

I’ve always liked the terminal ballistic potential of .40 S&W, but have not liked the various pistols available—the S&W .40 M&P has solved that problem for me. It is hard not to like 15 rounds of 180 gr JHP in the magazine, especially in an ergonomic, low bore-axis, soft-shooting pistol with a 1911 grip angle; I am especially looking forward to the .40 M&P’s with ambi-safeties.

---------------------------------------

For those folks incarcerated in states with 10 rd magazine limits, then I’d stick with a .45 ACP M1911, .45 ACP M&P, or a .40 S&W Browning High Power for personal use.

Feedback Score
    Not to hijack the thread but, I own neither a .45 or 9mm pistol nowadays. I was a dyed-in-the-wool .45 fanboy for many years before I discovered that the 9mm works just fine. My .45 ACP 1911 was retired and replaced by a Glock 19 for several years. I held off on the .40 S&W until I was satisfied that it was a mature cartridge and was going to be around for a while. (I've been around long enough to remember the 10mm ACP debacle...) Now, all I run in a first-line pistol is .40 S&W. The only debate I have anymore is whether to stick with the Glock or move to a 1911-style platform - in .40 S&W.

However, if I were going somewhere that .40 S&W was unavailable, I'd take a high-cap 9mm over a single-stack .45, provided that I could run the ammo of my choice. If I were limited to ball ammo, I'd take the .45 ACP. How's that for muddying the water?

Feedback Score
    My dad was a big .45 fan, but I trained on the 1911A1's prior to the big military handgun trails back in the 80's controversial switch to the 9mm's. What an on going debate that was and still is. I own the M&P9c, and an old S&W 6906, but own 2 .40's, Glock 23 and Beretta PX-4 Storm. I enjoy shooting the two calibers doing double taps, rapid fire, controllability and economy. It's all about shot placement, but I do have to admit, I'd like to own a high end classic 1911.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Doc,
    Thanks for the reply. You pretty muched sum up what I've been mulling over.

I've been shooting a 1911 for about 20 years now, but am willing to move into the new century. I shot my M&P45 at LAV class fairly well, it just seemed like it took more effort then with the 1911 the prior day.

Of course the M&P40 almost seems like the "Answer". I've got one of those, so maybe I should get the 9 also, and see how things shake out.

Either way, I won't be to far wrong.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dialM4murder View Post
    Why do you own a .45?
    Because they don't make a .46 (someone had to say it )

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    Because they don't make a .46 (someone had to say it )

Joe Mamma
    Ah, but they do make a the 0.50 Action Express (AMT and Desert Eagle).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The 1911 is properly chambered in .45acp.

45acp loads meet or exceed the FBI minimum penetration while making a bigger hole.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Becuase it fits my hand and is what I am familiar with. XD40 has a good fit also for short fingers.
    Last edited by Mike91A; 10-18-07 at 21:17. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dialM4murder View Post
    ...as opposed to a 9mm.
    Because of the MUCH bigger hole at the end! It has been proven time and again that bullet diameter is the MAIN priority in stopping power. There are others, but this is tried and true! That's why everyone with a 9mm tries to get their Hollow Points to expand to a.45 cal.

Tack

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast