Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Howe - Tac Rifle Operator

Feedback Score

Paul Howe - Tac Rifle Operator

Man, great instructional DVD.

I really learned a lot of things I didn't know about the fundamentals of rifle operation. I'm newer to the AR platform than a lot of the folks on here, and Paul Howe pointed out some things that I just had not considered or seen taught:

1. Moving your adjustable rifle stock changes your zero.
    2. Head placement with different types of ear pro.
    3. Dislodging a real failure to extract.
    4. Kit setup
    5. Which aperture to use at which distances
    6. A good zero for 100-300m.

The level of detail he provided here was incredible. This wasn't a "this is how you do it" video ... it was a "this is how I do it, and this is the real-life reason I do it this way." I liked that he used iron sights regardless of distance and didn't shoot an optic the entire time. You get the impression, "Hey, this guy can shoot, and I think he can teach me to shoot, too."

He just thinks differently. A lot of the trainers that you see out there are running red dots and appear to be teaching people to shoot 15 rounds at different colored shapes as fast as they can from 25 yards and in. This was real marksmanship instruction.

I highly, highly recommend it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad to hear you liked it. I am right now on the fence about purchasing his two videos. There is another thread elsewhere on the Howe DVDs. Paul is one of the greats, but not as well known as others. He definitely subscribes to a much more conservative and fundamentals based philosophy than say the Magpul guys.

Would you say that this video is geared more towards a beginner level, or is there intermediate material in it?
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    An expert's beginner is a beginner's expert ... tough to say.

I enjoyed it and got something out of it. I found it to be much better than the Tac Pistol Operator video. If you have to choose one, I'd choose the rifle.

The pistol video mostly consists of him shooting the standards. The rifle video has a lot more "nuggets" of information.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlshooter View Post
    An expert's beginner is a beginner's expert ... tough to say.

I enjoyed it and got something out of it. I found it to be much better than the Tac Pistol Operator video. If you have to choose one, I'd choose the rifle.

The pistol video mostly consists of him shooting the standards. The rifle video has a lot more "nuggets" of information.
    Thanks!
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    How does changing your adjustable stock LOP affect zero?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    How does changing your adjustable stock LOP affect zero?
    It changes the position of your eyes in-relation to your sights or optic. You wont notice a difference from about 50yds and closer, but out past 100yds everything needs to be consistent to maintain your "Zero".

Feedback Score
    The instructional video is very good. Like stated earlier, he uses iron sights in the video (he is definitely not against optics). Outside of a sling and a small light, he doesn't use any fancy gadgets on his gun. When he teaches a method he also explains why he teaches that method. His methods are proven in the real world. I took his HR course last year and it was excellent. I have been to quite a few training courses in my career, and I consider Paul Howe's above the rest. If you ever get a chance to take one of his courses you won't regret it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really wish they'd show this at basic training, rather than having an ill informed mortuary affairs Drill Sergeant do it like mine did. My learning curve would of been far shorter! I'm no slouch now but even just the smallest points with body position are going to be useful next time I qual and deploy. It's also a great practical set of standards for me to work to at the range in my spare time.

I really enjoyed the video, especially Paul saying "I probably shouldn't be oiling this part" during the cleaning tutorial repeatedly.

Can't wait for the advanced class. Is there a difference between the DVD and on line viewable editions.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It has his "maintenance" on the video? I'll buy it just to see that again. Good stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce9166 View Post
    It has his "maintenance" on the video? I'll buy it just to see that again. Good stuff.
    Grease, grease, and a little more grease.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast