Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Howe - Tac Rifle Operator

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Mmkay guys, you've got me on track hesitantly, but how is the best way to break the ice on issues like this to the "masses" in POG units and such, when the law of primacy and "that's not what you were taught in basic)/OSUT/MCT etc happens

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    People tend to deal with logic and proof pretty well.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    And always remember; concept over technique.
    It ain't dancin' we're teachin', it's fightin', no judges to tell me if my heel didn't come off the floor enough during my pirouette. It's about fighting and winning, not adherence to tradition.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howe View Post
    Thanks for the notes on this site. As for the reload, I will try and explain it a bit more.

I do/teach my tac reloads behind cover. If you are running and trying to do one, you are not situationally aware of your weapon and its condition. When I move, I want a topped off gun ready for any situation I encounter. If you are trying to tac reload while you are running and getting shot at, you have issues. First, you are either running to cover or reloading, but trying to do both will slow you down and make you a better target. I will tac reload if I have to move and I am under 3/4 a mag. If I am static, I may just shoot the gun dry depending the tactical situation (if they are 100 yards and out).

Further, I will not loose a shot on a bad guy because I am fumbling with a partial mag and have failed to get my rifle back up. The partial mag is secondary to making a rapid engagement should a bad guy present himself and you need a loaded gun to engage.

Next, I don't use a dump pouch as they are more of an admin tool on a flat range. I used to stick my empty mags into a cargo or empty pocket when I was through with them. Why? I hate the noise and rattle of empty mags if I am still in a prolonged fight. If we move from a shooting area to a non-shooting area that has not heated up yet and we are trying to be quiet (which is a good thing) and you have two or more mags rattling loose in a pouch, you might as well scream clankly-clank, I'm a tank for all the noise you make. I don't want you in my stick if your gear noise gets to the bad guys before we do.

Finally, if you shooting that many rounds that you need to dump mag after mag, I hope you are hitting something and not just pissing away your ammo. I believe in a 1/3 rule. Get a lethal hit for every three rounds fired. That will get you 9 bad guys for every mag you fire if you are able to remember the basics.....

Paul
    Out of curisosity...

From the way it was described above (I haven't seen the video), the method is:
    1. Seek cover
    2. take a knee
    3. eject partial magazine to deck
    4. insert fresh magazine
    5. retrieve partial magazine from deck provided there is an opportunity to do so

If that is correct, my question is, what do you do with the partial magazine once it's retrieved. you mentioned you don't use a dump pouch, and you "used to stick my empty mags into a cargo or empty pocket", but you don't make mention of what you do with partials?

if I'm misunderstanding then my appologies, and if this is made clear in the video then double apologies. Just trying to understand a technique that is heretofore counter to my prior instruction.

thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    People tend to deal with logic and proof pretty well.
    In which case the question would become "how do you prove it to them?" Do you make use of a timer and have them perform various methods of changing out a partial magazine and record the split times as proof?

We did this several years ago with the RWR vs. TL and found the RWR provided the fastest split times provided the magazine was stowed prior to firing in the TL. We never tried it Howe's way although the question would be do you fire before or after the partial is retrieved and stowed? It seems obvious to me that if the round is fired before retrieval it would be the fastest method, if after stowage it would be the slowest.
    Last edited by rob_s; 07-29-11 at 07:37.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It seems obvious to me that if the round is fired before retrieval it would be the fastest method,
    I'snt that the point? To me being fast at stowing a mag would be like being fast at re-holstering.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce9166 View Post
    I'snt that the point? To me being fast at stowing a mag would be like being fast at re-holstering.
    Is it?

You've decided that it's important to retain the magazine, for whatever reason. Would it not be best to be able to do so in the least amount of time possible?

It appears to me that Howe's technique minimizes the importance of the partial magazine in favor of getting the gun topped up most quickly, and only allows for retrieval of the magazine if there is time.

I'm not critiquing here, just mulling things over and hoping to fuel the discussion.

Feedback Score
    Rob,

You can fire anytime in the sequence as your hands are back on the weapon the fastest.

Bring a full mag out next to the mag well.
    Eject the partial mag and push pull the new/full mag.
    Check your battlefield (this means look for bad guys to shoot).
    Press check and close your dust cover.
    Check your battlefield.
    Recover and stow your partial mag.
    Check your battlefield.

What to do with a partial mag? Use them last if in dire need.

If you need full mags, get them from the vehicle you came in on as you should have pre-staged ammo.

If it gets really bad, strip the dead and wounded of their ammo. They don't need it. If your officers are on a radio calling for FS, use theirs. If someone is mentally out of the game and fetal, take theirs. If men are not willing to fight, they become my ammo bearers....

Finally, dead bad guys brings guns and ammo to the fight, use theirs if you have to....

Paul

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks Paul, appreciate the response.

Are you still travelling at all and/or working with Grey Group? I'm working with them to bring some of "their" instructors down to Florida and I'd love to get you down here next year if we can work it out.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I agree it does minimize magazine retention, but from a slow learner's perspective (my perspective) taking one problem at a time, my main problem is my rifle is low on ammo and getting it reloaded is paramount.

Adding any other steps to getting that rifle fully loaded may worsen my situation. If I tac reload as described I am sure my mag is seated (push/pull), but I personally can't do this very well with two magazines in my hand.

Feedback Score
    Rob,

Thanks and I am trying to cut back my trips and do more classes at my place. I have all my live fire lanes set up and I don't have to reinvent the wheel with each new range I come to.

As for travel, I have seen enough hotel rooms in my life. Grey Group looks like they are keeping busy which is a good thing in these economic times.

Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast