Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paul Howe - Tac Rifle Operator

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce9166 View Post
    I personally can't do this very well with two magazines in my hand.
    For me it is hit or miss, which is why I timed a group of shooters on the RWR vs. TL, and based on those results as well as my own physical limitations, I now perform a RWR instead.

From a time standpoint it makes sense as with the TL your support hand is going gun-belt-gun-belt but with the RWR it's only going gun-belt-gun.

I also went back to GI magazines recently instead of the Pmags and find that this change greatly improves my ability to manipulate the magazines. I may even try the TL again just to see if it's improved that much.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howe View Post
    Press check and close your dust cover.
    Mr. Howe, would you please describe how you conduct the press check of your carbine/rifle?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Submariner,

I use my right hand to pull back on the charging handle to see/feel brass. If I want to feel, slide my left/non-firing hand around under the weapon and touch the case. I release and then palm strike my forward assist. Finally I close my dust cover with my non-firing hand. The reason I use my right hand on the charging handle is because it must come off the grip to use the forward assist after I do my brass check.

I know the other technique used is to pull your magazine and then check to see that a round has stripped off. This came from using the MP-5 as best as I can tell. The problem I have with this technique is that you are unseating the life blood of your weapon. I see more problems with students not seating magazines correctly than forward assists breaking. I personally don't want them to pull the mag out once they put it in correctly.

I also use this technique on an M-1 Carbine, Grand, M1A, AK, etc.

Both systems work, I just prefer the way I teach.

Paul

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thank you kindly for taking the time to answer my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howe View Post
    The problem I have with this technique is that you are unseating the life blood of your weapon. I see more problems with students not seating magazines correctly than forward assists breaking. I personally don't want them to pull the mag out once they put it in correctly.
    Both systems work, I just prefer the way I teach.
    I have never seen this explanation for the technique. I have personally failed to re-seat magazines properly so it makes sense.

"A" way and not "the" way. Good stuff!
    Last edited by Submariner; 07-29-11 at 09:08.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Mr. Howe,
    Good stuff. I remember you mentioning that style reload in a class awhile back, but, you also mentioned the more conventional style in an email, that may have been in regard to pistols though.

Dumping the mag on the ground, is what I "taught" my Soldiers back in the Cold war days, when the likely scenario, or the one you trained for, involved being dug in, in a AAAD, stopping the Soviets from charging thru the Fulda Gap. Or, having just assaulted across your Obj. and prepping for a counter attack.
    In both cases, getting the gun gassed up, fast, is of much more importance, then retaining a few rounds in a mag.
    It also, allows you to teach basically one reload, the speed load, and that sorta streamlines things.

There are any number of "reloads" out there. Many of them have a place. A good operator should have his head in the game enough, to be able to read the situation, and use what he needs. Firing from an aerial platform, may call for a reload with retention(I've heard it called the Infantry reload also), sitting in a harden structure, Mr Howe's style.
    Something that happens with us a lot, you become distracted with "action on the obj." securing adversaries, friendlies, unknowns, buddy and self aid, etc. combine that with short response time lines, means guys sometimes find themselves "tac loading" at the "wrong time". Just speed loading, then picking up the mag, if you have time and security, could be an appropriate technique.

Dump pouches, I understand your aversion to them, based on noise, but, for a lot of us, we ain't ninjaing anywhere. Also, most pockets are covered by drop legs, and other gear, or even possibly chem suits. Having been in the no dump pouch situation, I think the pluses will outweigh the negatives.
    Definitely some food for thought though.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Bob.

In my day the first "dump pouch" was down our shirt as we did not wear the kevlar that is out today and we were more in a dismounted patrolling mode. Somebody then sewed velcro on the flap of a two quart canteen pouch and that was the first dump pouch I saw. I can take em or leave em, but they don't make or break the tactical situation.

As for reloads, I try to keep it simple and only practice one or two. They should work across the spectrum to include CQB. If you keep your situations simple and understand that you should reload before you move and before you put hands on. Tac reload if your weapon is empty, low or malfunctioned. It will keep training simple and should work in any environment, jungle, desert, urban, etc.

As for drop down holsters, we are trying to move away from them. I have found that putting gear on your legs is counter-productive to movement and training. In effect, you are strapping down heavy muscles used for movement and guys that move from urban to any type of brush quickly pay the price. With every step, you are meeting resistance. We are teaching to get the holster up on or close to the belt as you will practice one draw stroke or area to recover the pistol. As most tac guys in the LE arena are part time guys, their primary job is patrol and their sidearm is mostly on their hip. This way it keeps it in one spot and they become more efficient with one system.

Also, drop down leg holsters, if mounted too low, cause the shooter to dip or drop his shoulder on the firing side resulting in excessive movement.

Thanks again for your input.

Paul

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Paul,
    I remember being taught to put mags down my shirt....its the only time I ever lost a mag in the Army
    I also used my butt pack, before we called anything a dump pouch.

As for drop rigs, I see their draw backs, and most guys are moving away from them. Some of us are mandated by work to use them though. I wear mine as high as I can, with the butt of the pistol at the bottom to middle of the belt, just low enough to clear my vest, when your short like me, that kinda becomes an issue also.
    Some guys wear them like ankle holsters, and I don't get it. I show them the issues with running, slower draws, etc. but all they care about is comfort. Some guys run up to 4 M4 mags on sub loads also, with the same issues, again, you can lead them to water, but they'll only drown.
    In fact most guys put more thought into their new IPhone then magazine placement

I do like the idea of only practicing one or two techniques, especially if they can be easily modified for the situation.
    The reload you describe above, to me, is just a speed load, the one reload you need to be really good at, so it gets the most practice.

Interesting on the press check, there are some out there, who feel the forward assist is unneeded.

Thanks for the info,
    Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    People tend to deal with logic and proof pretty well.

Do they? I think it's pretty safe to say in our clan down at the extreme gumby level(where I'm at), I can pretty much count on those 2 things being UA in just about any training that goes on. I still have some people who keep mags in pouch rounds up and do EVERYthing with thier dom hand.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Do they? I think it's pretty safe to say in our clan down at the extreme gumby level(where I'm at), I can pretty much count on those 2 things being UA in just about any training that goes on. I still have some people who keep mags in pouch rounds up and do EVERYthing with thier dom hand.
    Then revert to pain, intimidation, and humiliation.
    BTW, I am in town, shoot me a PM if you want a sit-down.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234