View Poll Results: How many commercial training classes have you attended and what are your future plans

Voters
400. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 and I don't need any (more) training

6 1.50%
  • 0 but I plan on taking one

67 16.75%
  • 1-5 and I don't need/want any more

4 1.00%
  • 1-5 and I will be taking more

202 50.50%
  • 6+ and I don't need/want any more

0 0%
  • 6+ and I will be taking more

121 30.25%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever attended a multiple-day firearm training class?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Have you ever attended a multiple-day firearm training class?

Several threads have touched on this over the last few weeks and months. Some defend them, some malign them, and often those in both camps lack a frame of reference to do either.

What I'm talking about here are not the local-guy, one-day, 5-person type of classes. I am NOT knocking those, but they just aren't the focus of this thread and poll. What I'm talking about is the ever-increasingly-popular 2-3 day "sleepaway" class (but if you're lucky enough to live nearby don't let the fact that you didn't stay in a hotel bother you). We all know the type, whether Rogers, or Vickers, or Howe, or Cain, or Defoor, or Lamb, or Magpul, or whoever. It doesn't even have to be a "big name on the internut" instructor just so long as the class was a multi-day format and there were at least 10-12 or more students in the class. They should also be "open enrollment" meaning anyone can attend as mil/LE-only classes are different and often mandated. To add to that, if you are mil or LE it should be something you OPTED to attend, maybe even paid for out of pocket, maybe got reimbursed for, not something you were sent to by the chain of command. If you're lucky enough to get sent to open-enrollment classes by your bosses at no cost to you then you can consider them for this list.

Hope that definition is clear enough.

Feel free to elaborate on your vote with a post, or explain why my poll doesn't work for you (it is impossible to create an internet forum poll that accounts for all variables/people).

The first poll choice would apply whether you have prior training as part of your job and don't feel you need more, or if you are totally untrained but don't think you need any. Perhaps these should have been separate options but they are lumped together here and you can explain further in your post.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-03-11 at 05:39.

Feedback Score
    When I first got into shooting, I attended a 3-day carbine course at Blackwater. It was an eye opener to receive some formalized training. Up to that point all my shooting was at a static range, shooting at the 25 and 50 yard line. Attending Blackwater exposed me to the concept of hold over for contact to 20 yard shots, as well as the concept of using either cover and or concealment, slicing the pie, speed/tactical reloads, as well as transition drills. A few years ago I attended a 2-day carbine course and a separate 2-day pistol course with MDTS. Both of these courses exposed me to the concept of weapon transitioning from my firing side to non firing side to maximize the use of cover and or concealment for either side of the body, as well as if one side of your body is injured, you may have to use your firearm from your non-firing side. I continue to practise these side to side transition drills, as well as the carbine holdover techniques.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm in the 6+ category, and will definitely be taking more. I've become a bit of a training junkie, but find every time I take a class, my skill level impoves. One caveat I will add is that I try to tailor the majority of the courses I attend to skills I may actually need in my own "real world." As such, I focus on the handgun in shoot on the move and lowlight conditions and home defense scenarios because if I ever need to use a weapon in defense, it will most likely be a handgun in my home or in public defending my family. I own AR's for home defense and competitions, so I do attend training with that platform as well, but only about 30% of the time because I am less likely to need a rifle in reality. Rifle classes are fun as hell, though.

I've attended enough courses and shot enough that I have been offering some of those local meatball classes mentioned in the OP, mostly to help enlighten our brothers and sisters in arms that simply don't know what they don't know. Many tell me they are reluctant to attend classes with the larger instructors due to the cost and fear of the unkown. They don't want to be "that guy" in front of Vickers, etc. We cover the basics of marksmanship and weapon manipulations, nothing too fancy or advanced and no tactics (I know my lane). I've been instructing for a little over a year, have taught 9 classes, and average about 8 or 9 students per class. I mention those numbers because it seems more gun owners are taking it seriously than even just a few years ago. I can proudly say I've had students go on and train with some of the bigger instructors, perform very well in those classes, and get bit by the training bug as well.

The flip side is that I do get comments on local or some of the lesser known forums from guys that don't get it. Many will regurgitate minutia about the guns themselves, but never actually shoot them and learn how to better their skills. I often hear "you are just a civilian," and "what, do you think you're going to war or something?" I also get some of the "I was in the military in 1982 and I know all I need to know about shooting" arguements. They bash me and these classes, but have never actually attended a course themselves. I'm not saying everyone who owns a gun should become a ninja, but I do believe that if you own a powerful tool like a gun, you should be proficient in its safe and effective use. Funny, but many of these same guys that make the arguements above spend ten's of thousand's of dollars on golf lessons, club memberships, gear, and greens fees, but will never play on the PGA tour. How is that different?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    6+ and taking more. This year alone, I have at least four classes scheduled that are 3 day classes in other states.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm in the 5 catagory. All DeFoor when he was with BW, TS, and now on his own. I planned 3 more this year with Vickers being in the mix. I had to cancel the Home Defense Course in November which I already regret but hopefully more will come available.

I have done the 5 day carbine course at BW and wish more would offer open enrollment for more than 2 days. It gets pricey and I understand it. But, for me and the travel time I would rather go for an extended period of training. On the flip side I'm in Atlanta so Fayetteville/Bragg is not bad but Moyock/Virginia Beach is an equal amount of travel time vs training time. Flying with guns is a pain.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    6+ and plan on more, as finances allow. Isn't ironic, that the guys that do it for a living, can rarely afford it?

You either continue to learn and evolve, or you stagnate and die.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Started last year in June with EAG and have been to them 4 times, LMS Defense, and a Vickers/Hackathorn class coming late summer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    6+ and plan on more, as finances allow. Isn't ironic, that the guys that do it for a living, can rarely afford it?

You either continue to learn and evolve, or you stagnate and die.

Bob
    2 classes. And what's really ironic, is that lots of guys who do it for a living cannot find the time to do serious training. Anyone wanna guess at what would happen if I came home on leave and announced to my lovely bride who gets to see me maybe four weeks a year that I was taking a weekend off to go shoot? I wouldn't have to worry about a divorce, as much as an autopsy.

I've spoken about my sucky shooting skills before; my first multi-day class was with Crucible and despite shooting nearly my entire life, my learning curve was so steep during the class that I actually went away angry for having taken so long to actually attend "real" training.

My second multi-day was the AK class with Cohort. Again, I went away so much smarter that I was amazed.

So far, all I know is that I suck, and need to get better. I work on drills with an AK-style air gun that I bought here, but cannot wait to go on leave and do some shooting with the real thing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In the past two years I have done,

the three-day EAG Tactical Rifle Course,

the three-day Magpul HVWM Course,

the three-day Magpul Shooter's Aid Course,

The three-day SI Designated Marksman Course.

I will be attending a one-day LE Tactical Rifle Course being put on by Falcon Security in a couple of weeks and am looking for a three-day AK course to attend before the year is out. I am also waiting for either the LBPD or OCSD three-day MP-5 Operator's Course to set their next dates. I am hoping to attend at least two-three courses a year depending on my work schedule and course availability. I have found that the self funded training route is a great way to go, tax deduction-wise.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 06-03-11 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    6+ here. Many more than that. Most were not open enrollment due the sponsor, venue, or subject matter. A few were. While all were work-related in some way they were not always work-provided, sometimes necessitating combinations of company time and resources, and my own time & dime. None were mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    I always joke that before I was gainfully employed, I had the time to hunt, shoot, and train, but no money to do it. With good employment, I can now afford to do it more, but can't muster the time.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast