View Poll Results: How many commercial training classes have you attended and what are your future plans

Voters
400. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 and I don't need any (more) training

6 1.50%
  • 0 but I plan on taking one

67 16.75%
  • 1-5 and I don't need/want any more

4 1.00%
  • 1-5 and I will be taking more

202 50.50%
  • 6+ and I don't need/want any more

0 0%
  • 6+ and I will be taking more

121 30.25%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever attended a multiple-day firearm training class?

Feedback Score
    1-5 here and plan on taking more as funds and time cooperate.

I think you should have enabled tracking of who voted what here, results might be illuminating.
    Last edited by BrianS; 06-03-11 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    1-5 here and plan on taking more as funds and time cooperate.
    Exact same. Setting up an ING account thats auto drafting money twice a month was the best thing I did. Doesnt seem to hurt so much, when I never knew I had it to begin with.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Exact same. Setting up an ING account thats auto drafting money twice a month was the best thing I did. Doesnt seem to hurt so much, when I never knew I had it to begin with.
    Ah yes, the secret training and toy account, well versed there.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Most of my shooting was paid for, with a few exceptions. I want to do more as time and money allows. One thing I have noticed is a lack of classes being conducted in AZ compared to other states.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    While I'd love to go to something like that some day, I haven't attended any and I'm probably not going to anytime soon. My specific circumstances do not carry enough of a NEED to justify the expense of taking an extensive training courses in carbine/rifle use.

-I'm a civilian. I don't have to go looking for the bad guys and have the freedom to flee from danger if I can do so safetly. I don't live under the illusion that this means I'm safe from harm, but it does have an impact on my probability of being in a firefight .

-Since I'm less likely to be in a firefight, becoming a more skilled rifle operator is less likely to save my life someday. Given that, even if I had all the money I'd need for the course in my hand right now, I'm inclined to think I would get much more value out of using it to:
    1) Upgrade all the windows & doors in my home to more durable "security" models.

2) Convert my house's functional, but obsolete, eletrical system to a modern circuit breaker central disconnect in order to reduce the chances I will experience an electrical fire.

or many other worthwhile expenses that could arguably carry more benefit than a course by protecting me against threats and incidents that, while less scary, are also much more likely than an armed & dangerous intruder.

-Since I would obviously not be able to claim a job-related need to get this kind of training, taking a 1-man 5 day vacation to one of these courses is kind of a hard sell to my girlfriend and I'd likely be sleeping on the couch for a LONG time if the one vacation I take this year isn't with her.

That said, I have sought out and attended some local handgun courses that significantly improved my comfort level with a pistol and I probably will go to similar carbine courses at some point. The value [for me] is high enough to support the much more modest costs of such courses.
    Last edited by Zell959; 06-03-11 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Ah yes, the secret training and toy account, well versed there.
    Maybe we should do a poll of training and toy accounts. Long term "investor" here as well.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    One thing I have noticed is a lack of classes being conducted in AZ compared to other states.

You mean besides the classes offered by Viking Tactics, EAG Tactical, LMS Defense, Magpul Dynamics and Mike Pannone?

Not to mention other organizations like Gunsite, Suarez International or even the class I attended last year with "Frogman"

If you haven't made it to a class in AZ its not because of a lack of opportunity.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have taken multiple one day classes and one two-day class.

The two day class was very good but I think I prefer the one-day classes better. It gives me more time to let it all sink in.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    My first training experience was provided by my agency's academy. I was a "virgin" shooter, so this served as my only foundation for learning anything related to shooting. For 10+ years, I naively presumed that this was enough - and why not? I was shooting pretty well on my quarterly qualifications. Any tactics or weapons manipulations I knew were simply because my agency had trained me that way. I didn't have the background to question the "why" of the methods or tactics I had been taught. I had no other training to compare the pros and cons.

It was not until about a year ago, when I was offered, and I accepted an invitation to take a training course graciously provided by another agency, that I realized my agency's basic training was woefully inadequate for my basic marskmanship skills, or to develop and maintain tactical skills application outside of the square one-way range. It hurt my ego a little to see how my skills compared with others in the class, but it motivated me to improve, and improve I did - exponentially so!

My first instinct towards any training opportunity with anyone other than my own agency had always been one of extreme reluctance, due mostly to my own insecurities. I was apprehensive of being shown my shooting and tactical ignorance and inadequacies, thinking to myself, aren't LE supposed to be proficient?

I swallowed my pride and paid to attend my first course, a first level tactical pistol course. I quickly got over my ego when I realized how much I had learned and improved as a result. I quickly dropped money at a repeat session (the training company allows repeats of the same course for half the price as an effort to encourage training).

I am scheduled to take my first "big name" multi-day course later this year with Magpul. I have to admit I am a little nervous, as it is my first rifle course, and I do not have a lot of training with the rifle platform (and it is Magpul, afterall) . I would like to take a local basic rifle course in preparation for it, so I look like I know what I'm doing. My colleauges laugh at me and liken it to cleaning my house before the maid service arrives to clean it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    LE/MIL is not what I am employed to do on a daily basis. I'm actually a Finance guy. I started taking classes 4 years ago as I wanted more of a challenge. To be honest, it was a chance to be able to shoot on the move. Something I get no exposure to when at my local range. I currently have a 1 year old and much like what 120mm said, I'm lucky if my wife lets me get out to a class once a year. With that said, I thoroughly look forward to any and all multiple day training classes I am able to attend.

I currently work out 5 days a week, but the rifle courses I have taken in the past have always provided a great workout. Call me crazy but I look forward to running and gunning with all my gear on, while at the same time learning how to control my breathing and accurately applying shots down range while under multiple situations. Every class I take I am quickly reminded I am so not a good shooter. The main reason for this conclusion is that some of the operators I have had the privileged to train with are simply phenomenal. Shooting with them on the same line pushes me to become even better at my own performance. That alone is a reason to take these classes.

Lastly, these classes really teach me how I prefer to have my gear setup. From rifle layout to rig setup, performance testing is a clear indicator of what does and does not work for you. Therefore, the added value of determining how to run my setup in a functional setting is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to any and all the classes I am able to attend in the future.

BTW, I'm in the 1-5 group.
    Last edited by Seagrave7; 06-03-11 at 19:12.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast