Thread: Question about ammo while shooting suppressed

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Question about ammo while shooting suppressed

I'm looking into either a Surefire 556-RC -- or its equivalent mini-version -- or an AAC M4-2000/Mini-4. I'm leaning towards the RC because of the new design, less first round flash, better mount, etc, but know it's going to cost more than AAC's equivalent model. My question is, and this will influence my decision, is do either of these models have any restrictions against certain ammunition types? I remember reading a while back that AAC advised no HP/Match ammo be fired through their suppressors for some reason although I do not remember what it was. If the more suppressor-savvy members of M4C could clear this up I could get on with making the big decision.

For reference, I'll be using it on a 12.5" SBR and a 14.5" w/ pinned mount. SHTF ammo is Win Ranger 64 gr BSB, .223 64 gr Gold Dot, or one of the 70 gr+ flavors of HP/match ammo.
    Last edited by Leonidas24; 04-05-13 at 02:05.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    FWIW, Gold Dot has done fine through my 556-212, as has 70gr TSX.
    Last edited by WS6; 04-05-13 at 01:31.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    FWIW, Gold Dot has done fine through my 556-212, as has 70gr TSX.
    That's reassuring thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No match ammo? That just might be RETARDED. These cans are made to withstand nasty XM193, so any quality match ammo would be great. The only thing you need to be wary of , is crap ammo that might not be stable.

So, if your concerned about ammo, shoot it without the can at 100 yards, and make sure it not "key holing" or tumbling. If you have a nice clean circle for a hole, you can shoot it out of your can safely.

I shot 77 grain match bullets out of my Mini 4 today.

Surefire or AAC, is GTG.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-07-13 at 17:37.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I'd say beware of light weight varmint bullets that cannot withstand the G forces of the 1 in 7 twists...

Unfortunate experience talking here...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I remember reading a while back that AAC advised no HP/Match ammo be fired through their suppressors for some reason although I do not remember what it was. If the more suppressor-savvy members of M4C could clear this up I could get on with making the big decision.
    I've never heard of such nonsense. Pappabear and I have put thousands of SMKs through our silencers in 5.56 and .308.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never heard of such nonsense. Pappabear and I have put thousands of SMKs through our silencers in 5.56 and .308.
    Yeah this could be one of those "I swear it heard it somewhere" moments in my life that actually occurred in a weird dream I once had. I'll chalk it up to that and drive on.

Thanks for the replies all!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have an AAC M4-2000- never had any problems shooting whatever ammo...

Fire away
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    No problems with any ammo thru surefire 556-212. I've at least 2K rounds thru it mostly what would be considered match: mk 262 (green ammo can and cardboard boxes), BHA 5.56 77 gr, BHA .223 77 gr, Hornady tap 5.56 75gr.
    You shouldn't have any problems with either AAC or surefire with respect to ammo
    I concur with the comments above, this is fictional. If my match ammo had the ability to deploy wings for additional flight upon leaving the chamber then I might worry.