Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Register SBR for 5.56, 7.62, 6.8. 300 BO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yes, just write them a letter telling them of the permanent change of configuration and keep a copy of the letter. Wait a month and call them to make sure it arrived, they can give you a reference number for your letter.

Don't expect a written response from BATFE NFA branch for 12-24 months.
    Do you think it would be safe to sell the original 5.56 upper before receiving a written response.

I do not even have the rifle yet. There was a problem with my trust and the NFA agent in charge of my application said it was a minor error where my name and trust name were both filled in and it only needed one or the other. She said it would take about a week for them to send it to my dealer, the dealer to correct it and send it back. That was about 1 month ago.

Feedback Score
    The underlying tone of all of the knowledgeable responses is 'put whatever upper you want on your registered SBR, it matters not'.

Were it me, I'd sell what I wanted, buy what I wanted, and shoot what I wanted, and not send anything to the ATF that I wasn't required to by law.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by byrddawg View Post
    Do you think it would be safe to sell the original 5.56 upper before receiving a written response.

I do not even have the rifle yet. There was a problem with my trust and the NFA agent in charge of my application said it was a minor error where my name and trust name were both filled in and it only needed one or the other. She said it would take about a week for them to send it to my dealer, the dealer to correct it and send it back. That was about 1 month ago.
    Yes, you can sell the upper whenever you want. Remember, you are notifying the NFA branch of a permanent change of configuration, not asking their permission. Same goes with in-state moves, notifcation. Only travel outside of your state (temp or permanent) requires permission, as well as selling an NFA item.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    But if you listed all the caliber's up front, then wouldn't you have already 'notified' and not have to do it again?

My class 3 dealer told me exactly the same thing - register the lower with every caliber it could ever be used for...Then you'd already 'notified'...
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
    But if you listed all the caliber's up front, then wouldn't you have already 'notified' and not have to do it again?

My class 3 dealer told me exactly the same thing - register the lower with every caliber it could ever be used for...Then you'd already 'notified'...
    BATFE NFA branch might have changed things up... a couple of years ago they started kicking Form 1s like that back, with multiple calibers / lengths. Maybe they changed that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Did Hussein ever put a new man in charge of ATF? I remember the news saying he was going to.

That could be a mess for all of us.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12