Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 /silencers help needed

Feedback Score

Lightbulb AR15 /silencers help needed

First off I would like to say hello to everyone and that I am new to the forum. I have a few projects at hand but heres the concerning one . I have a dpms 20' ss bbl varmint , I have just ordered a Chip mccormick drop in trigger group ..
    My next task is putting a silencer on it and have decided on a ranger 2, my ? what do I have to expect from the can is it qiet and how qiet ,, Is it accurate and how accurate and say I work up a good subsonic load will that make it holywood qiet ??? and post would be great and ideas coments on the trigger group would also be great I have never used a CMC trigger it should be here in about 4 days .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As a general rule, suppressed .223 sounds like unsuppressed .22LR.

Subsonic .223 is pretty much a waste of time. The bullet drops too fast to be of any use at distance, and it's too light to have any momentum under the sound barrier. Subsonic is best with heavy bullets.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can only give you advice on one piece of your scenario. DON'T ORDER AN AAC CAN THROUGH YOUR DEALER!

ONLY buy one if it's already in stock.... unless you have 6 or more months before you actually want the silencer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Subsonic .223 is pretty much a waste of time. The bullet drops too fast to be of any use at distance, and it's too light to have any momentum under the sound barrier. Subsonic is best with heavy bullets.
    Unsuppressed .22LR rifles run in the 140-145 dB range, depending on whether subsonic or supersonic ammo is used.

Typically the top 5.56mm suppressors are c. 133-135 suppressed, so the sound pressure levels are actually lower than on the unsuppressed .22 LR rifle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was just trying to give him a rough idea of what to expect, and make sure that he's not expecting that "pfffft" noise from the movies.

Feedback Score

+1. "Hollywood" suppression is gonna be pretty difficult to achieve with .223 even with a decent can and subs.

-Doc

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

yeah I figured getting it qiet would be a trick but I mainly just wanna do away with ear protection and retain accuracy ..... so if I can make it sound close to a 22lr that would be great I just threw the ? about subs' in there cuz I thought they might be fun to play with . I figured even at only 1100 fps it would get the job done out to 100 yards on a coyote head shot with out maybe messing up the chance of a few others trying to come in ?

Feedback Score
    No... unsuppressed .22LR will make my ears ring (tinnitus), suppressed M193 out of 16" and 11.5" barrels does not.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nationwide View Post
    No... unsuppressed .22LR will make my ears ring (tinnitus), suppressed M193 out of 16" and 11.5" barrels does not.
    Neither one has ever given me a problem.

Feedback Score
    Neither one has ever given me a problem.
    Maybe I'm just a big pussy???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast