Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Antonio members

Feedback Score
    If you don't mind me asking, what is it you like about Texas Tactical? I'd be interested in a few more details.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what is it you like about Texas Tactical? I'd be interested in a few more details.

Thanks
    Sure, no problem.

Mike Webb (owner) and his wife are genuinely nice folks. They bring their kids and dog to matches, and the regulars all watch out for them.

I’ve watched their second youngest grow up around the range. Few years back, he was moving this plate steel. Piece was about 12” x 4”, and it was all he could do to pick it up, let alone move. That little guy worked and worked. He’d pick it up, and drop it. Then he’d kick at it, scowl at it, then try again. He got so mad he started to cry. But by God that little man carried that steel about 20 yds.

Mike is extremely flexible, and allows me to shoot an IDPA match with gloves, or maybe use my 6004 as I need to practice with it, etc. As I’ve mentioned before, I remain UNCLAS in IDPA. That’s a personal choice as I’m not there for the game, and I’ve never shot a Classifier. I can’t remember a single time that Mike has mentioned it.

One time, Mike goofed on a carbine COF. Basically, after turning about 4 times walking through, the COF required me to break the 180. I really couldn’t tell I broke it after all the turning – plus I was inside walls, and couldn’t see anything. The RO DQ’d me for the day, screamed a bit, didn’t like what I screamed back at him, so he called Mike. Mike came over, fixed the COF, and put me on another squad so I could keep shooting.

I remember one time the wall fell over on me. I kept my carbine down range, finger off the trigger, etc. The only thing unsafe about it all was the 4x8 piece of plywood falling on me. The rest of the squad was shitting bricks, and some folks actually ran for cover. I was laughing the entire time. I’m sworn to secrecy here, but Mike made sure I was able to shoot for a while.

I play baseball and hockey, and sometimes disappear for a few months. I still get to RCSC, but can’t manage the time for matches. Mike and the rest of the regulars always welcome me back.

Due to injury (broken ankle), 2 minor surgeries, both my parents going in the hospital multiple times, and then me moving, I didn’t shoot a match with Mike in over a year. I went back in April or May, and the regulars all asked how I was doing, where I had been, and put me on the squad with all the regulars.

I went to a match one time after puking my guts out at home - thought it was over. About the 2nd stage, I started getting sick again. Went and found Mike, and told him I was gone. He offered, then personally walked me to each stage, and I shot it next. No one minded, and Mike did me a nice favor. Think I puked twice during those stages. HAHA!

I remember when someone bulldozed all Mike’s props at the Johnson City Range.

Mike has a great new shooters briefing.

Everyone there will help new shooters. Folks have loaned, guns, ammo, pouches, ear pro, etc.

Like anything else though, there are turds in the punch bowl. There are really only 2 people out there I avoid. And even then, it’s nothing to lose sleep over.

Frankly, I couldn’t think of a better group of folks to shoot with.

Oh – I can tell you right now there is some animosity between Mike and RCSC. The explanation has been offered to me a few times, but I just don’t care to hear it. Both groups have treated me well over the years. I'm gonna say it's a topic that shouldn't be mentioned. There are some RCSC regulars that shoot with Mike. Like I said, I don't know what happened, and I don't want to know.

Hope that helps.

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them.

There is an IDPA match tomorrow at Cedar Ridge, but not sure if I can make it.
    Last edited by Backstop; 06-10-11 at 19:02.

Feedback Score
    Backstop,

Thanks.

I went to the web site but couldn't find much background info and the forum is a dead end link.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the webiste is pretty basic.

On the homepage you can subscribe to his emails.

He always sends out emails about the next matches, and any other stuff. If you subscribe, you won't miss any announcements.

You know, it just dawned on me I didn't really address the matches themselves. IE the COFs and props.

The COFs are basic to pretty good, and Mike's props are good. I've seen worse, and I've seen better.

The props at RCSC are better. But as I mentioned above, folks just weren't going to their IDPA, so they stopped having them.

Feedback Score
    I'm in San Antonio, born and raised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12