Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-End Kit Items Worth the Extra Money

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

High-End Kit Items Worth the Extra Money

I understand the theme of not having too many expensive pieces of equipment in your survival kit, but some if it has to be worth the extra cost and weight savings...

I recently bought the Equinox Ultralite Tarp (bottom of the page) which is a super light silicone impregnated nylon tarp. I bought the 8'X10' and wish I would have bought the 10'X12. These tarps are extremely light weight and pack up in a small space. I would not use this as a ground covering but strictly to make a roof/wind block. I think the weight savings justifies the price on this item. This is a great addition to any day pack. I'll be getting at least one more (in the larger size).

The other product I really like is the Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove. Maybe not so much a needed survival item, but one that might make boiling a cup of water a little faster in some outdoor situations. This thing folds flat and is much smaller than it looks in pictures.
    The Titanium is very thin and feels flimsy until you have it assembled, then it's surprisingly strong and stable. Very easy to rest any type of cup/pot/pan on top. I haven't tried this stove with a fuel tab, it's pretty tall inside so I doubt 1 tab would boil water but it would be worth a try.

Anyone else?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Last night I ordered a Kelty Noah 12x12 tarp to use after finding this tarp thread thru google. That got me really thinking about tarps instead of a tent sometimes. There's a ton of different ways you can use a tarp for shade, shelter, etc. I'll be using it this weekend on an overnighter above 8000ft, but I have a feeling 12x12 will be a bit too much, so I'll probably end up ordering a smaller one, probably a Bushcraft USA tarp.

I like the idea of a small wood stove, too. I still have a couple canisters of fuel left, but I've been geting into lightweight hiking and the wood stove has got me thinking it could be used instead of a conventional stove with very little space taken up with it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    JSummers, let me know if you're interested...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82334

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Has anyone tried a Kifaru Tarp?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Has anyone tried a Kifaru Tarp?
    Hey Dave not a Kifaru but I recently purchased a new one from Wyoming Lost and Found. I purchased it based on this limited review and I have been very satisfied with it. The folks at Wyoming Lost and Found were very easy to deal with and they kept me updated during the wait.

Good to hear the Vargo is worth the coin as I have been seriously considering getting one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMASTER View Post
    Hey Dave not a Kifaru but I recently purchased a new one from Wyoming Lost and Found. I purchased it based on this limited review and I have been very satisfied with it. The folks at Wyoming Lost and Found were very easy to deal with and they kept me updated during the wait.
    Oh man, there goes another hundred bucks... Did you get the Multi-Cam tarp?

I may modify one of those little soda cans into an alcohol stove to go in the Vargo as a time-saver. When I get back state-side I'll be able to experiment with it more.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Oh man, there goes another hundred bucks... Did you get the Multi-Cam tarp?

I may modify one of those little soda cans into an alcohol stove to go in the Vargo as a time-saver. When I get back state-side I'll be able to experiment with it more.
    Yes I got one in multicam.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Why am I not seeing that tarp on their site in multicam?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    They just don't advertise it. If you're interested just give them a call.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I believe you click the "Add To Cart" button under the Camouflage price and probably type it in later.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast