Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In the market for a Precision Rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for all the advice I got from everyone. I ordered a rifle.
    I had a price range in mind for the rifle, glass, ammo, training, accessories. What I found out was Zak Smith was right on when he said about $10,000 to do it right.
    TacPro had no AI's available until August...maybe, so that was a no-go.

I called GA Precision and They are going to build me a Great Rifle to start(and they could build it for me in less than 2 months- even with SHOT going on).

-Trued Rem 700 Action with extend bolt handle.
    -18" Barrel, Threaded/with Thread Protector.
    -AICS 2.0 Folding Stock in OD 3 five round mags 1 ten round mag.
    -Badger 20MOA base/30mm Rings
    -Leupold Mk4 3.5-10X Illum. TMR M1
    -Flat Dark Earth CeraKote on Gun/Base/Rings
    -Harris Bipod (USMC version)
    -2.5-3lb. Trigger

Getting the all the above for around 5K,
    Also enrolled in the GPS 2 week Warfighter Sniper Course in March for around 2K.
    1st 1,000 rounds of Ammo- around 1K.

By the time I pay all travel costs to AZ I'll be right around 10K and I still need Rifle case, sling, drag bag, laser range finder....and the list goes on.

If anyone has any last minute suggestions feel free to throw them out.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post

If anyone has any last minute suggestions feel free to throw them out.
    - Don't count on that timeline. George is a great guy but he is super busy. I'd add two months to be safe.

- Get a scope with elevation and windage adjustments that match the reticle. I have a Leopold Mil reticle Mk4 and while it is a fine scope it is frustrating and counterintuitive doing the math between the knobs and the mil'ing reticle.

AnchorStation Guest
    Congrats you done good!

You will be all sorts of happy with a gap rig. As for the rest...it will never stop

Transport protection should be first priority. 5K of hardware in a 30 dollar doskil case from Big 5 is not the answer. I use the Eagle HRSC which is a drag bag and shooting mat. It also has pockets for a cleanning rod log book as well as I keep my mags and kestral in there too. It has removable backpack straps too which I initially removed then decided to try and found I used it a lot. I also got a Hardigg storm case, you can save about 90 bucks if you get it without the foam. The gun (Surgeon Scalpel with USO SSDS) inside the HRSC will fin in the Hardig case with the foam removed. I feel the HRSC by itself due to the way it folds around the rifle provides sufficent protection. The hard shell case is just added protection and makes things a little easier to transport, stack, store and lock up.

GAP also stocks TIS cuff slings and TIS can provide the AI hooks for it. Mike Miller (TIS) is a good dude and will do you right.

Dont recall which model it is but lupy has a LRF that will calculate the come ups and cosine angles (you will figure that out soon). Pretty gadgetty all in all and reasonably priced but I have not actually done any hands on with it. The "Best" LRF is the Leica bar none but like all the other stuff its not cheap.

Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet like I did and you thought things out pretty well. My only comment would be that you should get a first focal plane scope. IMHO if you have a FFP and a mildot master then an LRF is just something else to break and change batteries in. If it were me I would skip the range finder, return the scope and get an FFP Luppy. http://www.swfa.com/pc-5487-297-leup...iflescope.aspx also a mildot master is the best 25 dollars you can spend and a sniper tools cosine indicator is also very usefull unless you are always shooting across the flat lands.

Remember the golden rule...POST PICS OF NEW TOYS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know the argument for getting the FFP scope but I want the Illum. Reticle. The course recommends it. I'll have a laser range finder too.
    If it doesn't work out for me, I'll take that scope and build an SPR underneath it, and get an S&B (which is my "longer" term goal).

Thanks for the info on the Sling. I know I'll be getting a Storm Case for it. Probably a drag bag if Eagle has them in stock when I need it.

As for George being backed up- he is barreling the action for me this week. He knows I'm deployed right now, and I be deployed again 4 days after the course ends. I trust it will be done within my time constraints...and I'll be calling him every Friday
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Stand by for pics of my new (1st) Precision Rifle

**BUMP**

George at GAP had my Rifle done within 4 weeks of ordering- He did an awsome job and I'll be posting the picks very soon.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234