Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a Precision Rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

In the market for a Precision Rifle

Any suggestions, pro's-con's, and advice are appreciated:

I have 2 guns narrowed down(subject to change), both in .308, both bolt. I'm also a lefty so any "user friendly" info would help. Money is no huge issue. YES, I have plans for some of the McMillan courses.

1) McMillan Tac-308
    http://www.mcmfamily.com/rifles.html

2) Accuracy International AWP

What do you guys think?
    TIA,
    Dave
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I do not believe any AWP's come in lefty configuration....if thats a deal breaker or not I am not sure....

Have you considered contacting one of the independent shops like GAP/Terry Cross/R&D Precision/KMW?

They could build you a HELL of a lefty rig relatively quickly, and for half the price of an AWP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly, I don't mind shooting right-handed bolt guns as a lefty. I can also shoot right handed, not as well, but I can still hold 2" groups at 100m.

I'm not familiar with the smaller custom shops out there at all. But would probably be interested. I'm really interested in the bolt guns with the folding stock- makes certain forms of transport much easier.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Honestly, I don't mind shooting right-handed bolt guns as a lefty. I can also shoot right handed, not as well, but I can still hold 2" groups at 100m.

I'm not familiar with the smaller custom shops out there at all. But would probably be interested. I'm really interested in the bolt guns with the folding stock- makes certain forms of transport much easier.
    got ya...

Folding stock, roger...

So with that information...AICS (similar chassis system to the AWP uses) allow the barreled actions to be dropped right in..

I believe one of the AICS 2.0 versions is a folding stock version....so that would allow you to get that portability you were looking for.

If money is no object, then get the AWP but be prepared to wait our to scour the boards for one, they only import so many each quarter...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe McMillan has a new folding stock that looks very functional...Maybe I wouldn't have to wait as long??

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I believe McMillan has a new folding stock that looks very functional...Maybe I wouldn't have to wait as long??

Ohh I haven't heard/seen that...

Just looked it up, seems like a nice conversion...but it states "soon to be available" per their website....so Id check that detail with McMillan

It seems their stock rifle is just under $4000

do you already have optics to go on it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No optic yet, but I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a Leupold Mark 4, 4-12X. I don't know if an S&B is worth over double what a Leupold is(?)...
    I'll probably go with Badger Rings- I think McMillan uses Badger Bases, but I could be wrong.
    Like I said- I'm more so just trying to figure out what I want/need. I won't be state-side for a few months so ordering something isn't a big deal.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    No optic yet, but I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a Leupold Mark 4, 4-12X. I don't know if an S&B is worth over double what a Leupold is(?)...
    I'll probably go with Badger Rings- I think McMillan uses Badger Bases, but I could be wrong.
    Like I said- I'm more so just trying to figure out what I want/need. I won't be state-side for a few months so ordering something isn't a big deal.

If you have time and money, I say call TACPRO and get in line for an AI-AWP and order a USO/S&B and call it a day

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That was probably what was going to happen anyway...If you can't decide, buy the most expensive

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    That was probably what was going to happen anyway...If you can't decide, buy the most expensive

they pop up once in awhile over on SnipersHide.Com so keep your eye open there...lots of good info too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast