Thread: what does the military do to there rem 700s?

Feedback Score

what does the military do to there rem 700s?

i dont know to much about the m40 or m24 but i would like to know what the militarys gun smith do to thiers.....and what kind of remington 700 on the civilian market compairs to the military version.. stocks, barrel,etc.....thankx for your replys
    Last edited by N4-aacuser; 06-09-11 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Army and Navy picks up the phone and orders them from Remington.

USMC is another story. They build them in house by 2112's of 700 actions which are bluprinted and trued. From there a Schnider barrel is added and then bedded into a McM A4. Most hardware is Badger on current version, trigger is tuned rem.

As for what compares...GAP will build an exact clone of either. M24 available for civi sales but for the cost there are MUCH better options. Accuracy Intl is the standard for durability and they are plenty accurate while they only claim 1 MOA all I have owned far exceeded that figure. You can have a custom rig built but IMO the AI will have a nod in regards to durrability while the customs will be a bit more accurate.

Check out Snipers Hide Forum but be mindfull of asking obvious questions for your first post as most will tell you to do a search.
    Last edited by Anchor Zero Six; 06-09-11 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They try very hard to turn hunting rifles into AIs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchor Zero Six View Post
    The Army and Navy picks up the phone and orders them from Remington.
    And sends them back to Remington any time something needs to be worked on. Almost nothing is done to them at the unit level mainatance wise.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the 700 R5 Milspec.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I agree with the Accuracy International comment. I have an AW and my rifle shoots well lower than 1/2 MOA when all the moons and stars are aligned LOL!!! so for the money I would go for that as well.

R.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is one of 38 Vietnam-era Remington 700s (originally sent to the Air Force as a 7.62mm M40) recycled by the US Army Marksmanship Unit. It is loaner-issued to those Soldiers and Cadets who go to the annual All-Army Championships at Fort Benning without an M24.

Each is in an H-S Precision stock with 10-shot single-stack detachable box magazine. With the exception of the short action it shares DNA with the long-action M24.

700s are dirt-simple. They are relatively cheap to build, and can be re-built time and again. A 7.62 can outlive its original owner.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While I have owned several AI's over the years and just as many AICS stocked rifles I do feel that they are not the most organc feeling rifles for shooting positions other than prone.

I'm building a 300wm at present on a PSS action that was given to me however if I were to start from a blank slate I would choose the Badger M2008 action mated to a Manners stock with internal chasis. This would yeild all the benifits of the AI action and pair it with a more tradition shaped stock that incorporates a solid (bedless) mating surface.

Anyways back to the original topic...Sinister correct me if I'm wrong but the AMU does in fact buld their comp rifles correct while the M-24's are leased? Maybe leased isnt the correct term but I recall being told the Army had some sort of contract that allowed for phase replacement, repairs and upgrades.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The AMU's competition guns are hand-built. Issue guns (like rack-grade M9s, M16s, and M24s) are off-the-rack until the barrel or triggers go out, then they're re-built in the shop depending on the matches they're set up for. The All-Army and Armed Forces Skill-at-Arms Meetings require issue stuff.

M24s are re-barreled with whatever good .30 cal barrels are in supply (anything from a Krieger, Obermyer, Satern, etc.).

In the Big Army, M24s go back to Remington and M110s go back to Knight's. SOCOM's guns might go back to the SOF Support Activity or the AMU.