Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghost load an 870?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yeah, a gamer technique for sure, but every little bit helps.
    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Call me crazy but it seems like trying to "3gunize" a pump is tail-wagging-the-dog stuff.

I mean, I get the whole different strokes for different folks paradigm, and I can see how there can be fun and/or extra training to be had running a pump in 3 gun, but choosing to run a system that's inherently slower and then risking it's function to speed it up a tad is still of questionable value to me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    Call me crazy but it seems like trying to "3gunize" a pump is tail-wagging-the-dog stuff.

I mean, I get the whole different strokes for different folks paradigm, and I can see how there can be fun and/or extra training to be had running a pump in 3 gun, but choosing to run a system that's inherently slower and then risking it's function to speed it up a tad is still of questionable value to me.
    The ghost load (if it will work in a 870) is done prior to the start of the clock. Once the clock starts all future loading is done as normal. If that makes any sense.
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 06-12-11 at 15:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The ghost load (if it will work in a 870) is done prior to the start of the clock. Once the clock starts all future loading is done as normal. If that makes any sense.
    I completely understand that, but ghost loading a gun very much not designed for it is liable to compromise function - the justification used for this is 3gun time shaving, but 3gun time can be shaved that much more by not running a pump at all and instead running one of the many good semi-autos which are properly ghost-loadable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I completely understand that, but ghost loading a gun very much not designed for it is liable to compromise function - the justification used for this is 3gun time shaving, but 3gun time can be shaved that much more by not running a pump at all and instead running one of the many good semi-autos which are properly ghost-loadable.
    Great point. Amen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not all 3gun divisions are allowed to run SA's. Heavy metal needs to be a pump.
    Alot of guys that are just starting out in 3gun will use a pump, just to keep the initial cost down.
    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not all 3gun divisions are allowed to run SA's. Heavy metal needs to be a pump.
    Didn't know that...

Alot of guys that are just starting out in 3gun will use a pump, just to keep the initial cost down.
    Yeah, they do it to try the sport and see if they like it, not because they reasonably expect to win with pumps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying pumps have no place in 3 gun. I think if you're the type of person who uses 3 gun competition as a variant on combat training, and your primary defensive/offensive shotgun is a pump, you should absolutely use and practice with your pump, just don't expect to win.
    And if you are using a pump for training purposes, train as you fight and skip the ghost load.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Didn't know that...

Yeah, they do it to try the sport and see if they like it, not because they reasonably expect to win with pumps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying pumps have no place in 3 gun. I think if you're the type of person who uses 3 gun competition as a variant on combat training, and your primary defensive/offensive shotgun is a pump, you should absolutely use and practice with your pump, just don't expect to win.
    And if you are using a pump for training purposes, train as you fight and skip the ghost load.
    I agree,
    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12