Page 1 of 366 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What did you do Today to Prepare?

What did you do today to prepare yourself and/or your family?

Can be anything.

Show pics if necessary.

Be as detailed as possible.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Went to BJ's this morning bought some more canned meats, tuna etc you see on top of the pile to add to supplies. Needs to be organzied I know , just threw it in there for now.

I have a mixture of almost everything i.e. dehydrated, MRE's, canned goods. Enough to last almost a year at this point for me & the Mrs and a few others if need be. This is one closet. There are 2 closets like this. And theres a storage area in the garage for the Big Berkey's, large water storage containers, coleman stoves, camping gear, aladdin oil lamps and all kinds of other goodies. It's insurance, if I never need it I'll be all the happier. Allows me to reach deep REM sleep every night!!

On my way out the door now to pick up anther propane tank. Every month I spend $200+ on something survival minded whether ammo, food, communications etc. Having spent many years in the USMC my family always understood my mentality (prior proper planning.."he's brainwashed") but they knew I was a fairly intelligent, level headed guy and not an off the cuff wing-nut. They understood, it just wasn't for them. 15 years ago friends thought it was a little loco, 10 years ago after 9/11 they started asking questions and in the last year they're asking for advice.

Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 06-11-11 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Jarhead View Post
    Allows me to reach deep REM sleep every night!!
    Very cool man. What's in those big white containers?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    The round (8) 6 gallon white containers are hard red winter wheat. The other white containers have a variety of items from rolled oats to barley, beans, pasta etc. The boxes on the bottom contain all sorts of dehydrated vegetables, TVP, fruit etc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Exercised my ass off in high humidity and mid-80's.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Exercise. Need lots more!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Dave- Back in A-stan?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Dave- Back in A-stan?
    Yeah, back again. Now I have plenty of time to get my post count up

I started this thread to get some ideas and hopefully others can learn from it too.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 06-11-11 at 23:15. Reason: add words....

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I got up, got my Kit and MK18 ready to look for some Taliban....

While here in the Stan, all I can do is read material to prepare. I did just start the book, When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes By Cody Lundin. It is a good book and he sure has a different outlook on the topic.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am working almost every day on remodeling my house. How is that "prepping"? Because I have very little experience doing that. So for the last couple of years I have made it a goal to do as much home repair and home remodel as I can myself. This way I will build more hands on skills other than my total dependence on computer/management work.

Of course I do a lot of the other more typical prepping of beans bullets, and band-aids, too.

So far I have really stretched myself beyond what I am confortale with, but gain a tremendous amount of satisfaction taking my time and doing things much better than standard construction, but a bit less than journeyman craftsman.

- Tore out a funky walkin closet in master bedroom that was not framed properly. Lead to tearing out all the wallboard and carpet, particleboard underlayment too. I rebuilt the closet including proper reinforcement in the rafters. Then I added soundproofing and hung new drywall. I chickened out and hired a a contractor to tape and mud the drywall and lay hardwood floors (gorgeous work).

- Built three garage cabinets with 3/4" plywood and a self-designed cat hutch (compact way to store cat food, eating platform, and elevated sleeping platform. I had never built cabinets before and learned a lot about joints and shelf supports (used Kreg pocket hole tool, routed dados, etc.).

- Laid a 13' x 4.5' porcelain tile hearth in the den, after moving the 350 lb wood stove and 400 lb concrete hearth by myself. I learned why most people do not lay 18" tiles and stick with much lighter 12" tiles! Turned out pretty good. Got help moving the stove back though!

- Have removed all the carpet and vinyl from the kitchen and adjoining den. TIP: Removing particle board underlayment from around the cabinets and cooking island is a PITA! Learned about proper leveling of the subfloor. Found a great local supplier for the select Hickory 2.25" strips and trim and it has been acclimating in my den for a couple of weeks. Have laid half the plywood underlayment and will finish this weekend.

- I have the power nailers and everything to start nailing the strips down later this week. Then lots of sanding and Waterlox finishes.

- TODAY, I finished rebuilding about half of my central air duct work (4" - 10" round) as it was damaged and installed wrong anyway. Learned all about duct work, elbows, hangers, mastic tape, and working in dusty 18" crawl spaces (use a dust mask).

Next year I will install hardwood floors (white oak) in the living room and stairs. And re-roof the house, though that may be contracted out for. Although I roofed houses and apartments in my youth, at 57 yrs old and earning good money it seems silly to work on the roof myself. Still debating with myself.

Overall it is a TON of work. Every project is a new set of codes, procedures, tools, and materials. But I am learning a lot, getting tremendous satisfaction from a job well done, and building up a set of tools to tackle nearly any house job.

I am gaining a lot of knowledge but have not done any project enough times to where I am as speedy as a tradesman. But if worse came to worse and I had to find another job or start a business in a non-computer area, I feel I have much more knowledge and experience than before. I could never earn anywhere near what I do now, but I might be able to eke out a survival income.

Page 1 of 366 1231151101 ... LastLast