Page 14 of 366 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Today I ordered a few books to add to the library:

"Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis"
    by Peggy Layton

"Skills for Survival: How Families Can Prepare"
    by Esther Dickey

"Where There Is No Dentist"
    by Murray Dickson

I have been trying to add at least two books a month.
    If you have a public library they may have those books on the shelves, my wife has Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook on hold and the Philadelphia library system will ship it to the library closest to your location for pick up. I will have to see if they have "Skills for Survival: How Families Can Prepare" available.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Swapped out my water stash today - the lawn loved the infusion and the containers got new water.

Feedback Score
    Ordered 250 rounds of 223 and 40. Starting the search for the best books. Thanks for the suggestions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    That is a great idea! I haven't heard of the top two you listed but have been meaning to pick up the one on dentistry for your a couple of years now.
    Last month my wife dropped something on her foot and cut it very deep. She ended up going out to the vehicle and grabbing one of our well-stocked first aid kits and patching herself up. It got me thinking though, while I have lots of medical training, I know little about making due without modern products, and I'm not always around.

So last month I purchased these:

"When There Is No Doctor: Preventive and Emergency Healthcare in Uncertain Times " by Gerard S. Doyle

"Where There Is No Doctor Where There Is No Doctor "
    by David Werner

Regarding the book, "Skills for Survival: How Families Can Prepare" by Esther Dickey, she originally wrote the book
    "Passport to Survival: Four Foods and More to Use and Store" which is all you need to know about Honey, Salt, Powdered Milk (fat free), and Wheat. It's an old book that Cody Lundin recommends. If you can find it new, it may cost around $50-$100.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 07-24-11 at 04:41. Reason: spelling
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I picked up 16 quality rechargeable AA's and a 4 pack of e2 lithium AA's. I use these in my EOTechs, lights, and radios.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Country DeVil View Post
    Starting the search for the best books.
    Here's the book reference list over at survivalblog.com There is a lot of great reference material over there.
    http://www.survivalblog.com/bookshelf.html

There are many great reference books, but "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" & " "Making the Best of Basics" should be at the top of everyone's list IMHO.

Both "where there is no Doctor" & "Where there is no Dentist" are online for free either as downloading as a .pdf to save to a file or for browsing online but unless you're actually gong to print it out, having the book is probably a good idea.
    http://www.hesperian.org/publication...ad.php#english
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 07-24-11 at 05:53.

Feedback Score

Aquaponics

I recently read an article on Aquaponics on another internet blog, Aquaponic is a technique of raising produce and fish together in a closed system. Essentially the fish produce waste needed by the vegetation, the water the fish live is is pumped into the planting beds and the plants purify the water for the fish. There are a few youtube videos on this subject but this is my favorite because it has james brown as background music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGbnG0nH3n4 and i will be purchasing this book when it is released http://www.amazon.com/Aquaponic-Gard...d=P3OMAKL5UZTD. i'll start small when i get CONUS, i'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Not to derail the Veggie Garden advise but while shopping today at the local Wal-Mart it appears they are discontinuing selling Mountain House freeze dried meals.

Single serve meals were $3.88 each and two person meals were $4.88 and they had the best selection of all the family favorites.

Since the "Best by" date was 09-2018 and the listed prices are the best I have seen either on-line or retail I decided to buy every package in two local stores for a total of 34 meals with 26 being two person and 8 solo meals.

If your into Mountain House fried Dried for you emergency stores then this is a very good deal.
    Was out with the family doing a little back to school shopping for the kids and stopped at two different Wal-Marts were I purchased all the Mountain House freeze dried meals in the past week.

Was surprised to find the one store was restocked so for the price I cleaned them out again. I did see a employee at the sporting goods register and asked if they had anymore in stock and when he checked that little hand scanner they carry he told me that the system showed zero for Philly area stores.

He also told me that Mountain House will no longer be sold at Wal-Mart so if you need some M/H freeze dried for your stores I would check the Wal-Mart in your area ASAP.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    He also told me that Mountain House will no longer be sold at Wal-Mart so if you need some M/H freeze dried for your stores I would check the Wal-Mart in your area ASAP.
    After seeing you mention this in the Preparing on a budget thread I checked all 3 of my local Walmart's this weekend and there was no MH to be found and it looked like they had already switched over to the Coleman pouches.

As for prep, I finally got my mom to show me how to can green beans using the pressure canner. After stringing and breaking a bushel of beans (not as fun as I remember as a kid) I ended up with 18 quarts. This Thur I'm taking a day of off and taking a class on canning tomatoes (both water bath and pressure) at the local cooperative.
    Last edited by Icculus; 07-25-11 at 09:20.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I picked up four little button USB two GIG drives for $7.88 each, placed pertinent medical/dental records and insurance info, family contacts and personal information with photo and a few other odds and ends on each. I sealed and placed them inside a small waterproof container with a cord to be worn around the neck like dog tags.

So if we get separated or God forbid are remains found each person has a total record on person.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-2G...Drive/16927835
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 07-25-11 at 19:28.

Page 14 of 366 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast