Page 102 of 366 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 3655

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    Been going to the gym, eating better, focusing on the last 11 weeks I still have to go of the police academy so I can do the best I can in there, graduate, and get hired.

Getting in shape is #1, followed by finding a cop job (only because that partially hinges on getting in shape and won't be a possibility until the beginning of June anyways), then I'll be able to save some money and start buying the things I want for preps. Right now I'm mostly just reading, learning, creating lists, and other assorted things of that nature so when the time comes that I have the funds to do what I need to do, I don't have to research any of it, I can just go buy it.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just fried my brains watching four hours of Doomsday Preppers (Rare day off) and have come to the conclusion that the producers of the show have a biased agenda to select only the goofballs to exploit for ratings for the shows I viewed.

So I added to my prep's a channel lock out so this garbage does not pollute my wife or kids minds who may happen to view the show while channel surfing.

On a more serious note I tended to my seedlings and had a really good germination rate of 85% and the wife will be working on the raised garden beds tomorrow as temp's will be in the upper 70's.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ordered a bunch of new seeds to try out. Got all old varieties that can be saved for future use.
    Also picked up the lumber to make two of the three more raised beds I plan to make this year.
    Local Lowes has food grade 5 gallon buckets on clearance so when I go back tomorrow for a few things I'm going to pick up a few. Then order some lids, mylar bags, and O2 absorbers to do some rice/beans/etc.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    My parents came up to visit this past weekend and my father and I got my 6800 watt diesel generator wired into my house. Now I can fire it up, flip the appropriate breakers in the basement and run most of the house!

I've got a diesel pickup with a 38 gallon tank that is almost always full, and a 40 gallon aux. tank in the bed thats always full...in addition to the 10-gallon containers I keep full in the garage I have a good ~90 gallons of diesel at any given time...that'll keep the genny running a few hours a day for weeks. I'm planning to run the house on it sometime this week and really see how long a tank of diesel lasts in it while running the house.

I am hoping to find a 100-200 gallon tank to mount somewhere in my garage and slowly start filling with diesel for use in both the genny and truck if the need ever arises.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    I am hoping to find a 100-200 gallon tank to mount somewhere in my garage and slowly start filling with diesel for use in both the genny and truck if the need ever arises.
    Look into a standard home heating oil tank which I think holds 500 gallons and is made for long term storage. Contact your local heating oil company for locations of dealers who sell the tanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The wife has another new scatter gun for home defense which cost $190.50 total OTD which is a Savage/Stevens 350 Security 12ga Pump with Synthetic stock/forearm and Ghost ring sights.

This is a stoutly made pump shotgun with very good sights and a decent action/trigger which will improve with use.

Several friends own this same gun and all have nothing but good things to say about the 350. This pump reminds me of the old Ithaca model 37 bottom eject which was a excellent pump shotgun in its day. I did notice that the 350 has twin action bars were the Ithaca had only a single bar.

My wife being a lefty is already happy with just the bottom eject but the Ghost Ring sights are really starting to grow on her.

Hell for $190.50 OTD its hard not to just try one out.

Here is a Savage U-Tube video of the 350 at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77y6ArK_w4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Look into a standard home heating oil tank which I think holds 500 gallons and is made for long term storage. Contact your local heating oil company for locations of dealers who sell the tanks.

Saw this post earlier today and had this same idea and you beat me to the reply. IIRC most tanks are 250 gallons but they can be easily daisy chained together. I haven't checked this out totally but it may be possible for you to buy home heating oil to run your genset from. SHOULD be the same as diesel, but dyed differently and without the road tax. You dont want to get caught running it in your truck but off-road use is OK. It may also be possible to just buy off-road diesel too. In a true SHTF scenario, i doubt that anyone will be dipping tanks to make sure you are playing by the rules. Im sure that you could even rig two tanks, one with road diesel and one with offroad diesel, and use a valve underneath to separate them. All of this may be more than you want but when my mind starts going it takes a minute to get it stopped.

You may be able to order them from a big box store and i will bet anything that a local plumbing store will have them in stock if your surrounding area has even a small majority of homes that use heating oil.

In keeping with the topic of the thread, i picked up some scrap metal to take to the recycler. A hobby of mine that partially funds the topics covered on this board

Feedback Score
    today i bought 10 Cerberus G-Mags (german made magpul p-mags) and 3 Surefire 60rds mags, and 2000 rounds of Remington 55gr FMJ .223´s

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    My parents came up to visit this past weekend and my father and I got my 6800 watt diesel generator wired into my house. Now I can fire it up, flip the appropriate breakers in the basement and run most of the house!

I've got a diesel pickup with a 38 gallon tank that is almost always full, and a 40 gallon aux. tank in the bed thats always full...in addition to the 10-gallon containers I keep full in the garage I have a good ~90 gallons of diesel at any given time...that'll keep the genny running a few hours a day for weeks. I'm planning to run the house on it sometime this week and really see how long a tank of diesel lasts in it while running the house.

Nice Set-up and future upgrade plan!
    Last edited by NHCraigT; 03-15-12 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by medicman816 View Post
    Saw this post earlier today and had this same idea and you beat me to the reply. IIRC most tanks are 250 gallons but they can be easily daisy chained together. I haven't checked this out totally but it may be possible for you to buy home heating oil to run your genset from. SHOULD be the same as diesel, but dyed differently and without the road tax. You dont want to get caught running it in your truck but off-road use is OK. It may also be possible to just buy off-road diesel too. In a true SHTF scenario, i doubt that anyone will be dipping tanks to make sure you are playing by the rules. Im sure that you could even rig two tanks, one with road diesel and one with offroad diesel, and use a valve underneath to separate them. All of this may be more than you want but when my mind starts going it takes a minute to get it stopped.

You may be able to order them from a big box store and i will bet anything that a local plumbing store will have them in stock if your surrounding area has even a small majority of homes that use heating oil.

In keeping with the topic of the thread, i picked up some scrap metal to take to the recycler. A hobby of mine that partially funds the topics covered on this board
    Great idea. But don't buy diesel. Buy fuel oil. You will save money. My local company will deliver 100 gallon minimums.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 102 of 366 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast