Page 104 of 366 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 3655

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Today Amazon just delivered One Second After which is next in line.
    Fantastic research in a novel!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently worked with a guy who has established a second obscured home in TN along with three other families. They've stored food for six months, and have equipment for growing and hunting and defense.

I started shortly after and am glad to have found this section of the forum.

-Started by purchasing soups, rice, and canned meats for one month beyond what we regularly have. I have decided to largely store what I eat and eat what I store.
    -Purchased two LED lamps for a power out period.
    -Purchased a water purification straw.
    -Created an envelop with several hundred in $20.
    -Copied my families essential documents onto both paper and a flash drive.
    -Acquired several medical grade face masks.

I'm in the process of:
    -Storing water and fuel
    -Buying a larger water purification unit
    -Buying a wood burning stove
    -Teaching my wife home essentials should I be unable to get home

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

DHS secures potentially 450 million 40 Cal rnds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Sadly I require RX lenses, anyone put back rx safety glasses for SHTF? Wiley X? Others?

This is one thing I am behind on, IMHO as of now some sort of RX safety glasses/goggles would be ideal.
    Revision military does a military discount, and prices are reasonable to begin with.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Picked up two cases of Baked Beans with a exp date of 02/2014 and five 10 pound bags of long grain white rice all which were on sale.

The wife just separated the rice into heavy plastic one pound bags for vacuum packing with a single O2 absorber in each.

Were stocking heavy this year adding on every shopping trip.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    On the way back from the Fredricksburg, VA gun show (waste of time, 80% chinese junk) saw a DeWalt 4300kW generator for sale in a yard. Turned around. Honda powered, well built, but told the breaker was bad, so no power. I told him that usually it is the generator head that goes bad... So, bought the $1350 (Amazon)generator for $300 to see if I could fix it (breakers are cheap), with the option of returning it if worse problem.

Worked on it several hours through the weekend. Bad STATOR, which is a $480 part. So had to return it to him...

Major bummer... But I TRIED to prep today... I really tried...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    On the way back from the Fredricksburg, VA gun show (waste of time, 80% chinese junk) saw a DeWalt 4300kW generator for sale in a yard. Turned around. Honda powered, well built, but told the breaker was bad, so no power. I told him that usually it is the generator head that goes bad... So, bought the $1350 (Amazon)generator for $300 to see if I could fix it (breakers are cheap), with the option of returning it if worse problem.

Worked on it several hours through the weekend. Bad STATOR, which is a $480 part. So had to return it to him...

Major bummer... But I TRIED to prep today... I really tried...

Rmpl

The family owns several and all have been perfect over the past few years. They are still in stock at some Aldi's stores so if you need a inexpensive unit that works see if you can locate one. http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Here are the back-up generators that I use and once again they are on sale for $399.99

Stat's

KingCraft 6,000-Watt
    Electric Generator
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6,000-watt surge, 5,000 watts of continuous power
    Two 120V outlets, one 120V twist-lock outlet, one 12V DC outlet
    13-horsepower 4-cycle OHV engine with recoil start
    Runs nine hours at 1/2 load on 6.6 gallons of fuel
    Includes mobility kit with 8'' semipneumatic tires and handle

Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 03-18-12 at 20:42.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Still out of work recovering from surgery. Started One Second After. Read on and off when I could today. 254 pages later it is way past bed ti.e. it got me this king and adding to my lists. I know it has been mentioned but toilet paper, tampons and tooth paste are things I have neglected. Guns, bullets and food are easier and more fun. So this has been a good reminder/primer.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought some borax, washing soda and a bunch of bars of Ivory soap to try the home made laundry detergent. One of the aspects of prepping I enjoy is the attitude of using simpler components to make usable alternatives to factory equipment and consumables.

The future is not entirely predictable (yes we are going to fall off an economic cliff but are there rocks at the bottom, trees to hit along the way, waterfall, or what?). The more skills we build making do with simpler stuff and understand how things work the better chance we have to adapt to new and changing conditions.

My wife and kids think I am little looney for learning to bake bread, make soap, learn to can and preserve food, etc. I figure I can't spend all my time shooting and handloading ammo (will maybe I could) so learning some old timey chores is a start anyway.

I inherited my Dad's old brace that we used to use all the time for quickly driving screws back long before power drivers. I need to get newer drive and drill bits for it as many wore lost in their house moves.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 03-19-12 at 02:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Stacked up firewood and cleared out an area for my new raised beds. Never done those before... gonna be a learning experience.

Page 104 of 366 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast