Page 12 of 366 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    gardenweb forum has pretty good information. I am not a member but have searched the site a few times. It was the only I found worth remebering.

As for deer depending on how big the garden is they can come of a fence four to six feet tall. Foxgloves can help repel deer, on the other hand this flowers leafs can cause stomach problems and three or more flowers can be very dangerous for an adult. So i took mine out when my kids thought they where fun a couple weeks back.

But on topic today I put rabbit shit in my compost.
    Last edited by NC_DAVE; 07-17-11 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_DAVE View Post
    gardenweb forum has pretty good information. I am not a member but have searched the site a few times. It was the only I found worth remebering.

As for deer depending on how big the garden is they can come of a fence four to six feet tall. Foxgloves can help repel deer, on the other hand this flowers leafs can cause stomach problems and three or more flowers can be very dangerous for an adult. So i took mine out when my kids thought they where fun a couple weeks back.

But on topic today I put rabbit shit in my compost.
    Squirrels are my real problem, there are too many to count around our house.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

what did you do to prepare?

If you have a problem with animals jumping your fence, do a google search for a coyote roller. It is a four foot piece of pipe with attachments on both ends the mount to the fence and allow the pipe roll. If an animal tries to get a grip on the top of the fence to jump over the roller spins and they can't get over.
    A friend of mine has a one year old german shepard that kept jumping her fence and roaming the neighborhood, she put up four of these rollers where the dog was climbing and she hasn't gone for a stroll since.
    The guy sells them very cheaply, I think it was 100$ for the four pieces.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicalpath View Post
    Squirrels are my real problem, there are too many to count around our house.
    If legal to hunt or dispatch small pests doing damage to your crops I recommend the Whisper .177 air rifle shooting heavy 14.7 grain pointed lead pellets. These pellet rifles are very quiet and accurate with minute of Squirrel out to 40yds.

http://www.gamowhisper.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    If you have a problem with animals jumping your fence, do a google search for a coyote roller. It is a four foot piece of pipe with attachments on both ends the mount to the fence and allow the pipe roll. If an animal tries to get a grip on the top of the fence to jump over the roller spins and they can't get over.
    A friend of mine has a one year old german shepard that kept jumping her fence and roaming the neighborhood, she put up four of these rollers where the dog was climbing and she hasn't gone for a stroll since.
    We have a wall so I don't know that would work and the damn squirrels could go right up a tree and just hop right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    If legal to hunt or dispatch small pests doing damage to your crops I recommend the Whisper .177 air rifle shooting heavy 14.7 grain pointed lead pellets. These pellet rifles are very quiet and accurate with minute of Squirrel out to 40yds.

http://www.gamowhisper.com/
    I may have to consider something like this but suppressed, the neighbors are too close to get away with this.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had a problem with squirrels and used it as an oppurtunity to practice up on my trapping skills (deadfall, snares, etc.). I don't have any website ideas I will try and get the name of a couple of books and elt you know. I mainly asked my father who grew up on a farm and has has a garden his whole life and one of the guys who works for me is from Venezuela and if they did not grow food they did not eat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    Or just attach a couple of tin pie pan to the fence that also worked great for me. Also keeping birds out i think can be more of a problem then those over grown rats. I would also say bird houses and bird feeders, as they will keep squirrels over at the bird feeder. Most birds even if eating seed will still eat bugs that can be harm full to your garden.And having the feeders out make easy killing if things got that bad. Rain barrels are also a good idea for the garden. I would suggest hooking a soaker hose you to them so you just have turn em on.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    To keep bird out of my figs I use fishing line to tie cds in several places on the tree. When the wind blows it causes to cd to twist and turn and the sun light flashes off of the surfaces scaring the birds away. This has worked extremely well for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    To keep bird out of my figs I use fishing line to tie cds in several places on the tree. When the wind blows it causes to cd to twist and turn and the sun light flashes off of the surfaces scaring the birds away. This has worked extremely well for me.
    I use to love the fig tree as a kid but, if you did not pick them when they where ready. They would fall to the ground and have the worst swam of flys and bees. My parents ended up saying the hell with it.

Has anyone tired bee keeping?
    Last edited by NC_DAVE; 07-18-11 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not to derail the Veggie Garden advise but while shopping today at the local Wal-Mart it appears they are discontinuing selling Mountain House freeze dried meals.

Single serve meals were $3.88 each and two person meals were $4.88 and they had the best selection of all the family favorites.

Since the "Best by" date was 09-2018 and the listed prices are the best I have seen either on-line or retail I decided to buy every package in two local stores for a total of 34 meals with 26 being two person and 8 solo meals.

If your into Mountain House fried Dried for you emergency stores then this is a very good deal.

Page 12 of 366 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast