Page 13 of 366 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    I had a problem with squirrels and used it as an oppurtunity to practice up on my trapping skills (deadfall, snares, etc.). I don't have any website ideas I will try and get the name of a couple of books and elt you know. I mainly asked my father who grew up on a farm and has has a garden his whole life and one of the guys who works for me is from Venezuela and if they did not grow food they did not eat.
    This is a great idea! Any chance I could get into trouble for doing this if a neighbor spots me?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_DAVE View Post
    Or just attach a couple of tin pie pan to the fence that also worked great for me. Also keeping birds out i think can be more of a problem then those over grown rats. I would also say bird houses and bird feeders, as they will keep squirrels over at the bird feeder. Most birds even if eating seed will still eat bugs that can be harm full to your garden.And having the feeders out make easy killing if things got that bad. Rain barrels are also a good idea for the garden. I would suggest hooking a soaker hose you to them so you just have turn em on.
    Do you think this would be effective if the nearest tree is about 20 yards away?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicalpath View Post
    Do you think this would be effective if the nearest tree is about 20 yards away?
    I am not sure at what distance this would not be effective, most cases I have seen squirrels take over bird food like crack. If you do want to use traps they have them for 18 - 25 dollars at some hardware store. Using these you could tell your hippy neighbors that you where releasing them in the wild else where. I am not sure about FL but I don't think they could say anything here in NC unless you where firing a gun within so many feet of a house and in a unsafe manner.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicalpath View Post
    This is a great idea! Any chance I could get into trouble for doing this if a neighbor spots me?
    Check your state and local game laws. egally you would prbably be ok unless you have a tree hugger that turns you over the local PETA group. Don't forget some guy got in trouble for killing a rat!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_DAVE View Post
    I am not sure at what distance this would not be effective, most cases I have seen squirrels take over bird food like crack. If you do want to use traps they have them for 18 - 25 dollars at some hardware store. Using these you could tell your hippy neighbors that you where releasing them in the wild else where. I am not sure about FL but I don't think they could say anything here in NC unless you where firing a gun within so many feet of a house and in a unsafe manner.
    Live trap is another great idea you just have to contend witha live animal but will keep the hippies happy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post

Now I need to see if Reliance has thicker walls than the 2.5mm Scepter LOL.
    Did you ever get responses from these companies regarding wall thickness of the Rhino and the BPA situation of the Scepter?

I'm thinking about ordering a couple Rhino Pak's today but I wouldn't be able to actually evaluate them for a couple more months.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I finished rotating all my storage Veggie can goods into my ready pantry and restocked with fresh adding a additional 25% in total can veggie goods. I did make a change in adding more Lama beans, sliced potato's and sweet potato's this time around since those veggies offer more in nutritional value and I have the kids warming up to them.

Doing this during a "Can-Can" sale saves dollars and offers greater selection and since we will now be using the rotated storage veggies it will cut costs down on are future shopping trips which pays for what we just purchased over time.

I keep a running tab on how much I spend for stored supplies and what the actual cost is to replace the initial start-up and expansions. This rotation with the *25%* increase in veggie stores ended up costing me roughly $21.00 more then the last rotation two years ago because I was able to use a great sale at the market and we will be saving food bill money eating are older stores which still have a 9 months to their "Best by" date.

I'm glad I figured how easy this is to do and one can get started with as much as they can afford until they have a three or six month supply. The trick is to try to keep your "Best by" dates very close together as all I purchased in the last week had the same "Best by" date no matter what type of Veggie it was which is 01-2014, 29 months from now. I will rotate my new stores in 20 months and that gives us 9 months to eat a six month supply which would bring us to the 01-2014 date.

Now I have read that canned veggies last at least another six months past the "Best by" date if stored properly so no worries that anything will go to waste.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 07-22-11 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I finished rotating all my storage Veggie can goods into my ready pantry and restocked with fresh adding a additional 25% in total can veggie goods. I did make a change in adding more Lama beans, sliced potato's and sweet potato's this time around since those veggies offer more in nutritional value and I have the kids warming up to them.

Doing this during a "Can-Can" sale saves dollars and offers greater selection and since we will now be using the rotated storage veggies it will cut costs down on are future shopping trips which pays for what we just purchased over time.

I keep a running tab on how much I spend for stored supplies and what the actual cost is to replace the initial start-up and expansions. This rotation with the *25%* increase in veggie stores ended up costing me roughly $21.00 more then the last rotation two years ago because I was able to use a great sale at the market and we will be saving food bill money eating are older stores which still have a 9 months to their "Best by" date.

I'm glad I figured how easy this is to do and one can get started with as much as they can afford until they have a three or six month supply. The trick is to try to keep your "Best by" dates very close together as all I purchased in the last week had the same "Best by" date no matter what type of Veggie it was which is 01-2014, 29 months from now. I will rotate my new stores in 20 months and that gives us 9 months to eat a six month supply with would bring us to the 01-2014 date.

Now I have read that canned veggies last at least another six months past the "Best by" date if stored properly so no worries that anything will go to waste.
    Great logic in your method Ph PD! Thanks for the idea!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Today I ordered a few books to add to the library:

"Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis"
    by Peggy Layton

"Skills for Survival: How Families Can Prepare"
    by Esther Dickey

"Where There Is No Dentist"
    by Murray Dickson

I have been trying to add at least two books a month.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Today I ordered a few books to add to the library:

"Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis"
    by Peggy Layton

"Skills for Survival: How Families Can Prepare"
    by Esther Dickey

"Where There Is No Dentist"
    by Murray Dickson

I have been trying to add at least two books a month.
    That is a great idea! I haven't heard of the top two you listed but have been meaning to pick up the one on dentistry for your a couple of years now.

This week, I got a promo email from Patagonia on their 30% off summer clearance. Picked up another mid-layer; a Windproof Fleece made from Polartec® Windbloc® 100% polyester micro-velour fleece bonded to stretch laminate in Alpha Green. There stuff is more on the high end but they have good sales and free shipping.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-23-11 at 20:41.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 13 of 366 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast