Page 251 of 366 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301351 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 3655

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Your way of prepping sounds much less enjoyable than everyone else's. I'm just saying... (although not seriously).
    It is definitely not the same as "1-click shipping" on Amazon.

But really I've found during most things I've done you'll reach a zen like point of embracing the suck. The cold, pain, boredom and hunger fade away and you just keep going. When it does come back that is when the real fun begins...

Just keep saying this to yourself:
    There is no pain you are receding.
    A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
    You are only coming through in waves.
    Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.

It got me through my first marathon

And you underestimate how nice a camping hammock can be... I'm trying to convince the wife to sell our bed and get either two hammocks or one double size hammock
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 02-04-13 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Went for a 2 hour hike with the wife, kids and the Mal. Went as far as we could west into a canyon and met with 10 ft. steps which weren't passable with the family in tow. Although she did laugh when I told her I could tie my boot laces together to hoist the 4 month old up if I went first. Wife took the 4mo in a chest carrier and I had 2yo in a kid backpack deal. HPG bag is the ticket when rocking a backpack.

About an hour in a large canyon it narrowed down to this.

Steepest part of the climb we could make it with the 2 year old and 4 month old.

Looking back.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Nice place for a hike...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Went for a 2 hour hike with the wife, kids and the Mal. Went as far as we could west into a canyon and met with 10 ft. steps which weren't passable with the family in tow. Although she did laugh when I told her I could tie my boot laces together to hoist the 4 month old up if I went first. Wife took the 4mo in a chest carrier and I had 2yo in a kid backpack deal. HPG bag is the ticket when rocking a backpack.
    Very nice! Mind if I ask what brand carrier that is for the 2 y.o. been looking around at them and some first hand experience in a hiking setting would be invaluable.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    Very nice! Mind if I ask what brand carrier that is for the 2 y.o. been looking around at them and some first hand experience in a hiking setting would be invaluable.
    It's a hand me down from my cousin and is about 10 years old, they don't make it anymore, but it is a Deuter. I've used it on numerous occasions and the biggest thing I would look for is adequate ventilation between you and the kiddo. Both me and the lil guy "run hot" and being in Vegas it gets pretty toasty even in the higher, cooler elevations. Check out the REI reviews here: http://www.rei.com/category/4500066

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Scored a 16" LW Middy barrel off DD's website which was actually in stock.

Now all you A-holes need to stop buying every eFFing BCG on the interwebs
    No kidding. That is half the problem here, people are just buying and hording things. I'd like to be able to buy a brick of .22.

One of my buddies pointed out a few weeks ago that the oddball stuff was still in stock. But all of the common cal's were very low stock or sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post

About an hour in a large canyon it narrowed down to this.

Steepest part of the climb we could make it with the 2 year old and 4 month old.

Looking back.
    Absolutely Beautiful. I bet everyone had a blast.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Absolutely Beautiful. I bet everyone had a blast.
    We had a great time. Nice family time together, no electronic distractions and just having fun hunting for dinosaurs and good conditioning too.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    It's also great to see parents setting an excellent example for their children.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    This weekend I finally realized and accepted I had way to much crap/junk. Today started making a simple list of everything I have. Simple as in camping gear is listed as one item and not each item. I am going to narrow down my list to a reasonible about of items and then hit craighlist/ebay/garage sale/anyplace really to sell/trade these items for items that would be more handy in a SHTF situation. Probably going to take me a long time, but gotta start somewhere.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    Not trying to bust anyone's chops or make you feel bad. I'm simply pointing out seriously prepping for nasty conditions means a lot more than buying a bunch of stuff and sticking it in your humidity and temp controlled storage bunkers.
    Your spot on with your train of thought. As I told a fellow member here who commented that he does not have the money to buy a lot of "stuff" because he is saving for a wedding band, "it ain't all about buying shit".

I think this thread is a good read and gives many of us some new ideas from time to time and or heads up on where to procure gear. I find myself posting "deals" more than anything, especially considering the current climate with the anti's in full swing it's good to see how things are across the nation.

So today I used some manufacture coupons to obtain some more gauze and misc. first-aid items I caught up with a likeminded friend who I use to work with. We started the ground work on planning a "group" of people that can have each other’s back depending on the situation. He started work for another agency and has met another likeminded individual there. We all plan on going shooting soon so we can get to know each other and we'll go from there. Developing relationships so as to have other options in a different set of folks is always a wise IMHO.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 251 of 366 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301351 ... LastLast