Page 299 of 366 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 2,990 of 3655

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    The wife went with me to a range yesterday and got some time behind a 40 and 45. She enjoyed it enough she might continue going with me. I'd love to get her more comfortable with shooting. She even asked about the AR.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score

Potatoes

The family tried canning potatoes today. We did a half bushel which gave us 12 quarts. We opened one of them and made mashed spuds with our own pastured chicken and vegetables from the farm. One more meal we produced ourselves. We're getting better at not hitting the grocery and supporting our family.

We're moving our week old turkey poults into bigger housing this week. Thanksgiving is on it way.....

Feedback Score

1st harvest

We also experimented with two potato crops this year. We are harvesting our early crop now which will feed us with with fresh potatoes until the frost when our second crop comes in. We are canning our surplus now and we plan on having spuds in cold storage all winter. We hope to have a surplus canned this fall to build our food stock pile.

Oh yeah we had home made ice cream for dessert. Gotta love it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Been a good few weeks for prepping.

Hit some good sales for canned goods
    Harvest a good bit from our first garden. Next year the size will double or triple at least
    Picked up another g19
    16 mile trail run in the dark
    Studying for my ham tech license (passing practice tests with ease now) and picked up a baofeng uv-5ra + cable/mobile charger
    And took a "camping" trip to the backyard to see how the littlest one handled it.

Feedback Score
    I've been away for a while, so a bit to catch up on.

I spent the last 6 days in the wild, so to speak, camping in Wyoming.
    Honed some fishing skills. Everything from catching and using live bait to cooking fresh fish on a fire started with a flint and steel. Brookies taste great, by the way!
    Also tested a bunch of equipment. Most of it had already been put to use, but this was a pretty good opportunity to evaluate my abilities in this kind of situation.
    The area we went to is our third bug out location, depending on season, so I took a route that mainly used small highways and even some back roads. It lengthened the trip time, but the scenery is beautiful so I didn't mind. Also allowed me to evaluate gas requirements with a loaded vehicle. A full tank with a spare five gallon can would leave me gas to spare.
    I used the opportunity to verify the work I've done with my .308. The time spent at the range seems to have translated pretty well. Dead on at 100 and 200 yards. This will be my hunting rifle this fall, so I'm pleased with the results. I did also use some of the time to scout elk, as this location is one of two I will be hunting in a couple of months.
    Speaking of hunting, I tuned up my bow and got some practice time in with that as well. If all goes well, I may not even get to use that rifle. I might just fill that tag with my bow. If I'm lucky.

All of that with my two year old daughter along. Definitely changes some things, but taught me some good lessons as well.

At home, I harvested 6 gallons of cherries which will soon be canned. My small garden has begun producing peppers and peas. The tomatoes are coming along, but not quite there yet. This is more of a learning experience than anything for me. Next year I will have a much better understanding. I've learned some great lessons already. Oh, my babysitter gave me 2 quarts of fresh loganberry juice, which I turned into syrup and jelly.

Overall, it's been a pretty productive couple of weeks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome1228 View Post
    I spent the last 6 days in the wild, so to speak, camping in Wyoming.
    PM me, or post to the group where in Wyoming you went (not the location just maybe a local town within 100 miles). I'm curious where you live as I am a Wyoming Native and have never heard of cherry trees anywhere close to the Southern part of the state.

One of the big downfalls for me about Wyoming is the growing season. If you've ever survived a Wyoming winter you know that sustainable vegi production is not easy.

What did I do:

Tuned up the arrangement in the truck for our trip. Big downside about the Tacoma? You can't fit a long gun in the under seat compartment unless it is an SBR or an AR with the lower and upper detached. I'm not bringing the AR out west because of our local shit laws so it looks like storing my truck gun may be difficult for this trip.

I also did my first "cold pack" jar of pickles from our garden. Harvested four pounds of cucumbers today, most of them too big to pickle but good for our cucumber salad. The cold pack will come on our trip with us as an experiment. We also pickled 8 dozen eggs.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    PM me, or post to the group where in Wyoming you went (not the location just maybe a local town within 100 miles). I'm curious where you live as I am a Wyoming Native and have never heard of cherry trees anywhere close to the Southern part of the state.

One of the big downfalls for me about Wyoming is the growing season. If you've ever survived a Wyoming winter you know that sustainable vegi production is not easy.
    The closest town is Alpine. The actual location is around 65 miles southeast of Jackson. I am not a Wyoming native, but my girlfriend is. Both of her parents are from Star Valley, but now live in Kemmerer. We live in Salt Lake, so fairly close.

I have spent enough time in Wyoming in the winter that I know I would never want to live there, let alone try to grow enough food to survive on. The hunting is awesome though. Utah has had a large population increase in the last 20 years, so the hunting here is not what it was. Too many people. It costs a lot more for an out of state tag ($305 for an elk license) but Wyoming has lots more game and lots less people. I also have the benefit of people who have spent their lives hunting in Wyoming to show me around. I don't just have to wing it.

What part of Wyoming are you from?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

What did you do Today to Prepare?

Man Wyoming is where I hope to move when I'm all done with with. I love the Pinedale area, go backpacking every year up there.

On the thread topic, I've been finding more reloading components at local stores for my hunting rifle (270 WSM) so ill be loading some of my usual ammo and then experimenting with some other loads. Also gathering info on loads for the 6.8 I'm building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ran 1 mile under 8 mins, excercised for 30 mins, ran back under 11 mins

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome1228 View Post
    The closest town is Alpine. The actual location is around 65 miles southeast of Jackson. I am not a Wyoming native, but my girlfriend is. Both of her parents are from Star Valley, but now live in Kemmerer. We live in Salt Lake, so fairly close.

I have spent enough time in Wyoming in the winter that I know I would never want to live there, let alone try to grow enough food to survive on. The hunting is awesome though. Utah has had a large population increase in the last 20 years, so the hunting here is not what it was. Too many people. It costs a lot more for an out of state tag ($305 for an elk license) but Wyoming has lots more game and lots less people. I also have the benefit of people who have spent their lives hunting in Wyoming to show me around. I don't just have to wing it.

What part of Wyoming are you from?
    If you know Wyoming you'll appreciate why I was once hired as a bouncer simply by saying what town I was from...

I grew up in Rock Springs during the oil bust of the 80's and 90's. My father was a roughneck that eventually moved on to be an ExxonMobile ex pat.

Last time I was in Salt Lake I couldn't believe how much Utah had changed. I was headed back to Wyoming right before Hurricane Sandy to teach a workshop. My host (one of the best outdoorsman and hunters I know, and I would venture to say one of the best alive in the U.S.) had a lot of really critical stuff to say about the new hunting culture in Utah. Sounds like a bunch of Mossy Oak yahoos have filled up the state.

When I drove back to SLC to fly into the Hurricane and go home I saw a father and son with Utah plates with two huge mule deer bucks in the back on a Wyoming road. Reminded me of being back there with my father. I miss it a lot. Hunting in NY is not the same.

Wyoming breeds people that are tough as nails. I know people that come back to NY and say they live in Wyoming, but they only spend the summers there. I call them out all the time and say no-one can claim being from Wyoming, or living in Wyoming if they haven't survived one winter.

I consider being from the state kind of like it's own nationality. There are only a few of us.

Glad you like it there...
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Page 299 of 366 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast