Page 5 of 366 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Phila-SteriPen may be your best bet. It will kill 99.9% of bacteria, protozoa, and viruses. IIRC it clears 16oz. water in 48 seconds.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Phila-SteriPen may be your best bet. It will kill 99.9% of bacteria, protozoa, and viruses. IIRC it clears 16oz. water in 48 seconds.
    Another option is the MSR MIOX pen...I need to pick one up as well...

Feedback Score
    A few years back I picked up a Katadyn Pocket filter. Since it was for my B.O.B I wanted something that was lightweight, rugged, reliable, did not require batteries or chemicals, and could be used long term.

While camping I’ve used it on water that was downstream of a horse barn, from stagnant swamps, mountain creeks, etc. and never had any issues. Water from really nasty sources may not look nice and clear after filtering, but so far I haven’t gotten sick.

Like most portable filters it will not remove all viruses and I do keep some tablets on hand, but I’ve never used them. With young children I would though.

Something else to consider is filling it on the go. Get an adapter to attach it directly to your bladder hose so you can refill without taking off your pack.

No doubt things have changed since I was researching this and there could be some better solutions today.

Couple of links that might be useful:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...0-52-1/Ch1.htm

http://www.grandpappy.info/wwater.htm

Somewhere there is a report of DoD testing various filters I’ll try to dig up.

One last thought - think out your routes and make sure you have access to water sources. Camping in NC one time I planned my route off a trail map - camping close to streams and such. I found out that just becasue you can see it on the map does not mean you can actually get to it. Not to mention some sources may be seasonal.

Feedback Score
    I went and got another 5 gal can of 100% high octane gasoline (no ethanol) from down by the marina and added sta-bil to it. I have 45 gallons saved now and will keep rotating stock every few months to make sure it doesn't get over a year old.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Stocking gas is a good idea as long as one has a proper way to store it. I have heard many good reports of Star Tron Enzyme Treatment as a stabilizer: up to 2 years.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

A link to "The Survival Podcast" forum. I reccomend it to anny prepper.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/...php?topic=87.0
    Heres a link to the TSP forum. It has a plethora of survivalist/prepper info. Browse and enjoy.
    Last edited by bsmith_shoot; 06-19-11 at 21:46.
    "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."
    -Psalm 144:1
    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord, and a gun; you might need 'em both, if you show up here not welcome, son."
    -Josh Thompson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Stocking gas is a good idea as long as one has a proper way to store it. I have heard many good reports of Star Tron Enzyme Treatment as a stabilizer: up to 2 years.
    I had not heard of that. I checked out their site and it looks like good stuff. Thanks,

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Just today got myself and the fiance a good pair of Asolo hiking boots from STP...
    I have learned a lot about foot gear from fellow member BattleDrill3. I have since acquired a pair of Asolo Echo and Sasslong boots. I recently got my fiancé a pair of Asolo Power Matic boots, all from STP. A friend of mine or is an avid outdoorsman turned me on to them, I have saved somewhere in the ball park of $1k in accumulated purchases. GTG gear at unbeatable prices.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Big fan of Asolo.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I have learned a lot about foot gear from fellow member BattleDrill3. I have since acquired a pair of Asolo Echo and Sasslong boots. I recently got my fiancé a pair of Asolo Power Matic boots, all from STP. A friend of mine or is an avid outdoorsman turned me on to them, I have saved somewhere in the ball park of $1k in accumulated purchases. GTG gear at unbeatable prices.
    No shit! STP is freakin awesome! I got mine a pair of the Attivas because they were "cute" lol

I was thinking about the Echos as well, but I heard they are basically the same as the Fugitives just without the GTX; so I passed since I already have "dry weather" boots...

Page 5 of 366 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast